Elvirina belongs to the Thumánn people, a breed that appears human. Their secret society is set apart by their unique gifts, a very different way of life and lastly how they love their men. At birth, every Thumánn female is appointed a soul mate. At the age of seventeen, Elvirina is more than ready to start her adult life with her given soul mate– Joshwin. Living apart from their own people, but existing amongst humans, Elvirina and Joshwin are forced to change schools. A shift in their relationship occurs when Elvirina encounters the enigmatic Blake at her most vulnerable moment and must face the consequences.


May 28, 2010

Chapter 10: Promises



Elvirina



Blake entered the classroom and walked directly to Serenity's still empty seat. A contagious smile pulled at his lips, which made it impossible not to respond with a smile.

“Morning,” he mused triumphantly.

“Good morning,” I echoed.

“How's Serenity?”

“Better.”

“Good. I’m glad,” he answered honestly. Blake tossed a white envelope at my desk, where it landed with a thud right in front of me.

I eyed it suspiciously. “What is this?”

“My promise.” Blake pursed his lips, while looking quite content with himself.

“Huh?” I turned the unmarked envelope over in my hand.

“Take a look,” Blake prompted eagerly.

I opened the envelope and pulled out the letter and a photo. I looked at the photo somewhat stunned. I had to subdue my grin because it would be so rude to laugh... but the picture of Blake made it hard not to. By the look of it, the image was of Blake from, perhaps, a few years back and in what looked like a very unpleasant teenage period. Blake was very tall, dangly, extremely skinny, had a brush with acne... and really bad hair. I unsuccessfully tried to hide my snicker.

“It's okay. You can laugh. Read the letter, Elvia,” Blake encouraged unabashedly.

I unfolded the letter to read his slightly shaky writing. On top, it said.



Five reasons to trust Caleb Blake.

1: I like romantic comedies (which I will deny till the day I die).

2: When I was fourteen, another boy kissed me. I didn't kiss him back.

3: I've broken into the school gym.

4: I have cheated on a math test. I used stolen answers.

5: I have sold drugs on school premises – twice.

Dear Elvirina,

I have done things that I do not want to be publicly known for several of reasons, which are listed above. They are enough to get me kicked out of school and maybe even arrested. Please understand that I am not proud of them, but they are my secrets.

So now, I need to trust you.

Love, Blake



I looked at him all wide eyed. “You didn't have to do that.”

“You said that you needed to trust me, before you could let me in on your secrets.” Slowly, he cocked a brow. In order to tell him about my abilities, I needed to trust him. I knew that it was out of line to tell him that, but for some inexplicable reason, I wanted too. He just gave me the justification to do so.

“I'll think about it,” I answered, trying to sound coy.

“You promised,” he reminded me smugly.

I looked to the front of the class and understood why Blake dropped his voice by several decibels. Mr. Brenner was getting ready at the teacher’s desk. His monotone voice started droning over the class. I accidentally crossed a few eyes, while overhearing hateful comments, such as the b – word and remarks that I was either stupid, evil or would plant something in Blake's head, which would turn him into a pod-person. Ugh humans! I squeezed my eyes shut hard to stop the flow of unnecessary information. Why couldn't I have some other kind of affinity, like making everybody happy or see the future? Now, that would be cool. Then I could maybe 'see' why the hell I was even considering telling Blake about my personal life. I looked at him. He was still gawking hopefully at me. I couldn’t decide whether his eyes were either grey or blue, but they were really striking.

“I'll think about it,” I repeated.

“Okay... I'll take that for now,” he drawled out, while sighing.

Mr. Brenner started his lecture on world history and ranted on and on in his tired dull style. Unable to concentrate on the lecture, I turned the envelope over in my hand repeatedly. I leaned toward Blake. “How do I know you didn't just make all of this stuff up?” I whispered faintly, fanning the envelope in my hand.

“Because I didn't,” he responded. “That's the best that I can do.” He gave me a look between apologetic and hopeful again. “You have evidence against me, if I'm lying.”

I thought of the awkward photo. “That could be photoshopped.”

“Seriously, Elvia. If I ever photoshopped, I would make myself look a hell of a lot better than that. Trust me. I’m not into uglifying myself. ” He pushed his hair back.

“I'll use this against you, you know,” I threatened playfully.

“I know. If I screw up, go ahead!” He dared. He was silent for a short while then he leaned toward me again. “Hey... does that mean that you'll tell me?”

“I don't know yet. Still thinking about it.”

“Let me know,” he mouthed so low that only I could hear the gentle rasp of his voice.

The bell rang interrupting our class. Mr. Brenner gave us tomorrow’s assignment before he left the room. I didn't know why he bothered giving us work to do. So far, he never checked if any of us had actually done it.

I gathered my books, wondering if I should give him my answer now or wait and let him grovel some more. No matter how much I knew that I shouldn't tell him, I also knew that I would. I so needed to face facts that I was such a pushover.

“Your jail warden is here,” Blake said flatly. He nodded towards the door.

“He's not my warden.” I narrowed my eyes annoyed at him, before casting a glance to see Joshwin waiting for me with an ominous look.

“Well, whatever he is... He's here.”

“His name is Joshwin.” I corrected, while letting my irritation seep into my voice. Blake didn’t respond to my admonishment.

“I'll see you later.” He smiled before a few long strides took him to the door and past Joshwin. I noticed Blake give a slight head bob in acknowledgment as he passed Joshwin. I hadn't noticed the tingle throughout class. I only noticed it now that it was vanishing in the wake of Blake's departure. Neatly, I snuck the envelope that Blake had given me in between my books. When Joshwin offered to take them for me, I refused with a sour remark that 'I was able to fend for myself.'

The next two classes were equally boring. The only thing keeping me entertained was the thought of teasing Joshwin, but I figured the pending strain from the whole 'not making love' situation would make that a downright horrible idea.

Lately, I had a one-track mind. I had lost interest in everything else that normally held value to me. Since when had I become such a simpleton? My mind focused on one thing and one thing only – sex. And when I wasn't thinking about sex, I was still thinking about it! What was happening to me?

I used to do other things. I remembered a time not too long ago, when I read books and enjoyed doing horoscopes with my mom. I played with the wind and watched trees sway in the motion that I created. I used to have fun beating Serenity and especially Chrystan at different board games. I used to like to draw. No correct that I used to love to draw. It had always been a bit of an obsession for me. Even now thinking about it now, it didn't awaken desire to do any of those things. Nope, I was still a simpleton completely drawn like a moth to a flame to one thing... sex! My mind automatically wandered off on its own just thinking of the word. Butterflies flapped their wings, whirling around inside my stomach and images filled my mind with a dizzying feeling of heat.

Elvie. Don't tease.” Joshwin called in my head, while snapping my attention succinctly to the boring class and back to reality. No more fun for me. I realized looking at Joshwin's slightly flushed skin how far my thoughts had carried me again.

“I'm sorry,” I said out loud and too late to stop myself. Flustered, I realized that I was in a room filled with unsuspecting students. Every set of eyes flashed in my direction. A few were laughing, but the rest were just bluntly staring. Oh no!

“... And what are you sorry for?” My teacher asked giving me a curious look.

“Nothing,” I muttered, while feeling horribly embarrassed.

“So will it be okay with you if I continue my class?” The teacher’s voice was dripping sarcasm and clearly not appreciating my little intervention.

From the corner on my eye, Joshwin struggled to muffle his snicker. He, of all people, knew what the interruption had truly been about. Sure, I could see the humor in that, but it didn't mean that I was any less humiliated. I could feel a familiar scarlet flush take over the normal olive tinge of my skin. Angrily, I slowly shook my head at Joshwin. Unfortunately, it had the opposite effect because the snicker turned to a more obvious grin. The teacher gave out an exaggerated sigh, while informing us that quiet was required for class and he wasn't going to ask for it again.

I'm sorry.” Joshwin intruded in my head, but I ignored him completely until the bell rang.

I noticed Blake at the end of the hall, even before the electric tingle crept under my skin. I was also very aware of Joshwin at my side. The humor in his eyes was replaced by a hardness that I seldom saw. We strode closer and the now familiar current started to affect my skin. I knew Joshwin found it greatly annoying, but he said nothing. No comments, no judgment.

Just before passing Blake, an inexplicable smile pulled at his lips. Unable to stop myself, I smiled back. While passing, he held his hand out and let fingers slide across my hip. I was teased by a snap at my skin, which felt like I had put both my hands on an electric fence. My head flipped to face Blake and so did Joshwin’s. His frown showed his displeasure. The spark spread throughout my body.

“Okay. Now, I'm starting to blame the guy,” Joshwin hissed under his breath.

“Don't.” I mouthed. “Don’t let him get to you.” Although, he was already getting to me.

“Well, no matter what, he doesn't count in our world.” I felt Joshwin stern look prod protectively at me. I caught the fact that Joshwin's words had more than one meaning. I chewed on that for a while.

“Maybe we should skip classes for the rest of the day.” I wanted to go home. I was feeling depressed and the outlook of spending yet another two hours in mindless boredom was less than appealing.

Joshwin deliberated. He had been quiet all day. I knew what was on his mind, but he wasn't talking about it. I didn't know how to open that can of worms or even if I should. It was bad enough that I didn't know what my fascination with Blake was all about and then have to explain it to my soul mate, was going to be challenging.

“Fine by me.” He finally decided.

“What's fine?” I gawked dumbly at him.

“Elvie, you are so out of it sometimes. You just asked if I wanted to go home, remember?”

“Oh right. Yeah, we should go.” Instantly, I felt better. I couldn't get out of this concrete hell fast enough.

“It's really irresponsible.” Though, the tone of his voice indicated that he wasn’t opposed at all.

“I know and I love it.” I widened my eyes innocently at him.

“Same here.” He grinned, while getting up from the lunch table.

“You are awfully willing and a really bad influence.” Though, I appreciated it more than I could ever say.

“You want me to make you feel guilty?” Joshwin’s attempt fell a little short and I didn't answer. “Didn't think so. Besides, if you feel guilty, so do I. Now, where's the fun in that?” He held my chair out for me.

“I see you're point.” Lithely, I got up feeling cheerful that today’s incarceration in this brick prison was over. “Race you to the car?” Before I even finished the sentence, I started running through the now mainly empty cafeteria and getting a good head start.

I swerved in and out through students filling into classrooms. Joshwin was right on my tail as I exited the main doors to freedom. Almost at the car, he grabbed me by the waist hauling be back roughly. Theatrically, he tapped his hand on the top of the car, while keeping me at an arm’s length. “You’re such a cheater,” he said.

“Well, look who's talking.” I popped my brows because he was still holding me away from the finish with almost brute strength.

“You started it,” he bantered, but let me go. “Come on, honey. Let's go home.”

In the car, the mood dropped again from light to a firm tension with icy tentacles running between us. This was what I wanted to avoid. I studied Joshwin's face, which got more and more tense and the silence grew as thick as mud. I knew that he was working up to something and by the way he looked now, he was almost there.

“Do we need to talk about this?” He asked with eyes locked on the road.

I played dumb to avoid. “Talk about what?” I stared at my hands, while lacing my fingers into each other and locking them hard. He turned his head and shot me a glum look. My fingers started to fidget and clammy moisture surfaced. “No.” I swallowed convulsively.

“I don't know how to handle this.” Joshwin said after a while. His words were influenced by the obvious strain in his jaw.

“You don't have to handle anything.”

“But you are fascinated with him.” Funny, he used the exact same words that I did to describe what I didn't understand about Blake.

“Yes.” A dark troubled silence unfurled again. “But I will stop this. I won't talk to him anymore,” I offered.

Joshwin watched the road again. “Sounds good to me. To be fair to us both, we need to acknowledge that you feel what you feel.”

“I don't have feelings for him.” I narrowed my eyes at Joshwin suspiciously.

“It’s all the same. He has them for you,” he stated flatly.

“You don't know that.”

“I have eyes and I understand why he would. I am kind of biased.” Joshwin shrugged, but his eyes were softer now.

“You are. Maybe you're not really the right person to judge him.” I had a running urge to protect Blake.

“I'm not judging. I'm trying to make sure that you understand how precarious a situation like this can get... really fast.” He gave me an ominous look.

“I know. I wasn't born yesterday.” Although, I had that same talk yesterday, just with Kasardian.

“Don't get defensive. All I want is for us both to acknowledge that we might have a slight problem on our hands.”

“What problem? I can handle this. Don't make this into something it's not!” My tenor rose.

“Then don't you get all bent out of shape over something that clearly isn't a problem!”

I suddenly realized that I was picking a fight with Joshwin over Blake. That was just plain moronic. It would be unwise to alarm Joshwin over something that was nothing. “Sorry.” I muttered.

“Apology accepted.” He turned the car onto the dirt road that led home. I rolled my window down, kicked my shoes off wiggling my toes and took a deep breath. The scent of Earth and leaves were strong and powering. The tension between us finally eased up.

“Home really does make you feel better,” Joshwin said.

“Yes. It was good decision to go home. Stupid, but good.”

“We'll just get Serenity to tamper with the desk clerk’s memories.” Joshwin's eyes flared with dark humor.

“Oh right. I'll bet that she won't even mind.” Serenity really needed an injection of good moral manners.

“Not one bit.” He agreed and laughed. “However, Elvie...” Joshwin's eyes grew harder and darker again. “Promise me that you'll be careful.”

“I promise.”

“Good. If you want to talk to him, that's fine. You don't need to say that you won't. Talk I can handle, but nothing else...” He didn't finish his sentence, but I understood precisely what he meant. The thing not being said would be beyond devastating. It would destroy what was meant to be our life. It would destroy our bond.

“Okay.” Even the thought of making a mistake that big made me shudder. I had never even heard of woman doing something like that. It was unthinkable. Only their women made indiscretions like that. We didn't. Why would we? We had perfection.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nelly! I've been reading your story on MyVampFiction, and since I'm not a member, I haven't been able to review... But I finally found your blog, and I need to say this: You are an excellent writer. I LOVE this story and the way you write. Thanks for sharing! I'll be back to post some more comments :) Take care, //Malin

    ReplyDelete