Elvirina belongs to the Thumánn people, a breed that appears human. Their secret society is set apart by their unique gifts, a very different way of life and lastly how they love their men. At birth, every Thumánn female is appointed a soul mate. At the age of seventeen, Elvirina is more than ready to start her adult life with her given soul mate– Joshwin. Living apart from their own people, but existing amongst humans, Elvirina and Joshwin are forced to change schools. A shift in their relationship occurs when Elvirina encounters the enigmatic Blake at her most vulnerable moment and must face the consequences.


May 28, 2010

Chapter 12: Forewarning



 Elvirina


My breath slowed and the exhilarating roaring of blood halted. I was utterly surprised by Joshwin's approach and how far he went in the blink of an eye. I think that I understood him better now. In hindsight, I could see how hard that this was hard for him. Yes, I was disappointed, but I also remembered my mom's words from a few days ago. She told me to make sure Joshwin was ready too. Fact of the matter was I wasn't the only one in this relationship. He needed to take care of me, but as his soul mate, I also needed to take care of him. So far, I was doing a piss poor job at that.

Although I might have realized this now, it didn't mean that I wanted to make love to him any less.

As I brushed Joshwin's wet hair, I enjoyed the weight of his body against mine.

The sun slowly dropped down behind the tree line and with it the energizing light. I was still in my wet shirt and I was getting cold. “We should head back,” I said.

“Sure,” Joshwin answered lifting his head from where it was nuzzled into my hair. He smiled warmly at me. It was hard to imagine that I wanted to rip his head off fifteen minutes ago. “What?” He asked.

“Nothing,” I answered trying to avoid admitting that my raging hormones controlled me.

”Tell me... Please,” he begged.

“Ugh, I hate it when you do that.” He knew that I couldn't resist when he pleaded with me.

“I know,” he smiled completely unashamed. “But what is it?”

“It's just that I’m unable to put two thoughts together these days and that all your fault, just so you know.” I intended to sound annoyed, but Joshwin's smile made me crack up. I just couldn't stop laughing.

My skin prickled at the drop of the temperature. “Take mine.” Joshwin offered picking up his shirt from where he had dropped it.

“Thanks.” I shimmied out of my wet shirt and into his dry one. His fresh smell lingered in every fiber as I pulled it over my head.

“Where do you think they went?” Joshwin said out of the blue.

“Who?” I asked. We were walking back toward the house slowly and I had no clue what he was talking about.

“You really can't put two and two together... Serenity and her new favorite toy,” he said, dramatically adding in an eye roll.

“Hey, be nice,” I scoffed. “I have no idea where they went, but I'm sure that she will give him a very warm welcome.”

“Warm, huh.” Joshwin said rubbing his face. The math that he was doing wasn't too hard to figure out.

“Be nice,” I warned again, but it was hard not to laugh.

At home, a silence tainted with unease lingered, but I soon understood why. Mom was at it again. She was sprawled on the floor where another massive horoscope unfolded. Lines were drawn and crisscrossed all over the paper. Mom's worried eyes didn't leave the paper when I entered.

“How long this time?” I asked Dew, who as usual was fixing dinner.

He instantly knew who, or should I say what, I was referring too. “Too long,” Dew answered, and then sighed. He was worried.

“I thought she gave it a rest after Vasvár died,” I added glumly.

“So did I, but she still senses something is wrong. Something that she can't pinpoint or see reason too.”

“Huh? Should I be worried?”

“Absolutely not,” he answered with a smile and kissed my forehead.

“When is dinner?”

“Half an hour. You want to give me a hand?”

“Er... not really.” Dew slowly raised an admonishing brow. I wisely changed my tone. He hated casual disrespect. “Sorry. I have a lot of homework and very little time,” I amended.

“Okay.” He went back to stirring the pot again. I glanced at Mom once more. Her face was lined with worry, adding a solid ten years to her age.

“Hey, did you know Serenity's soul mate showed up today?” I continued turning back to Dew.

“Yes. I met him briefly,” Dew answered between stirring and chopping.

“Yeah, so did I.” Thinking how they'd vanished before Joshwin and I had exited the water. Hopefully, they didn't stick around for the after show. I blushed just thinking about it. Dew narrowed his eyes at me and I shrugged faking innocence. ”They disappeared,” I diverged, hoping to hide the heat in my cheeks.

“Oh... they probably wanted to be alone,” Dew said gently.

Mom groaned in defeat from the communal room again. She leaned back on her legs while rubbing her temples. I wanted to say that I wasn't worried, but that was a lie. Mom was usually right about her gut feeling. She sensed that something was wrong three days ago before Vasvár died. Now, Mom sensing something was off was again and was seriously like raising a red flag. I decided to confront her.

“How bad is it this time?” I stared down at Mom's tensed position.

“I don't know,” she scoffed.

“Can you fix it?”

“No, because I can't see what it is I'm supposed to fix.” She looked up at me. Seriousness and fear embedded in her green eyes. My insides chilled.

“But it's bad?” I tried to keep my voice even. She only nodded. I swallowed convulsively. “Can you see what it is? I mean, is it like... Vasvár?” The name got stuck in my throat. I had to force it out. His death was still like a gaping wound around here.

Mom didn't look up and she didn't answer. Frozen in place, I stayed put. I watched Mom work over the map, while adding, deducting and testing theories. Her graceful fingers kept tapping impatiently against the floor when she was thinking hard. Tap, tap, tap. It was grating my nerves. She shifted her pose repeatedly, while sighing deeply. I knew it was unhealthy for me to stand here watching this, but I couldn't make myself move. Perhaps, there was a point to watching the future being unfolded by my mom’s capable hands. I just didn’t know what.

Time ticked by.

I was lost in the lines crossing over the floors when Mom looked up for the first time in a while. I watched her lips move when she spoke, but there wasn't much sound. It was like her eyes and mind were lost in a different realm. “It's about you.” My heart skipped a couple of beats. “It's about you. I'm sure, but I can't see anything else. Things just don’t add up.” Her gaze returned to the floor display again and she shook her head lightly. She ran her fingers over her face. When she looked at me again, she looked more like herself. “I'm sure that I'll see things more clearly after dinner.” I watched Mom's face ease its worried lines, so I relaxed a little. Being at the center of one of her undisclosed mysteries was a step above disturbing.

Dinner was delicious as usual. Dew really knew how to disguise celery almost to the point of being edible. That was an accomplishment and pure talent.

“Will you join me in a game of ten thousand?” Dad asked when I was done helping Dew clean the kitchen after dinner.

“Sure.” I knew that I was going to get my butt kicked. I always did, but dad loved to play. I couldn’t resist the opportunity of making him happy.

“Great.” He beamed, like he had expected that I would turn him down. When his face lit up like this, he looked like a giant bearded six year old. We chatted back and forth as Dad's numbers climbed and mine went nowhere near ten thousand.

“Dad... why do we live out here? Why do we not live with others of our kind?” I watched darkness slide over my father’s face and I instantly understood that maybe it wasn't all about choice. Perhaps moving had chosen my parents, not the other way around.

“That will be a talk for another night.” I watched his face turn into a smirk. “How are things with Joshwin?” He threw the dices again.

Ugh... so not going there. “It's going,” I lied and focused on writing down the scores.

“So no… progress yet?” He asked and I cringed violently inside. Why did he have to be so blunt about it? Couldn’t he just leave the subject well enough alone? “You know that I'm only asking, so we can get things set up for the ceremony.” He handed me the dice cup.

“Sure, Dad,” I answered reluctantly. He might be comfortable talking about it, but I sure wasn't. I shook the cup and threw the dices.

“Would you want to have the ceremony immediately after?”

I groaned internally again. There were just too many questions. “I don't know, Dad.” I worked to keep my irritation away from my father. “Mom's really worried.” I changed the subject. Mom had been reluctant to get into any of this after dinner. I knew that she was hiding something from me.

“I know,” he answered and his face turned guarded.

“You know it's about me?” I tried to sound nonchalant, counting eyes on the dices.

“I do.” Dad smiled tentatively, evaluating me.

“Why do we even bother talking? It's not like there are any secrets around here anyway,” I said glumly. Dad chuckled. “Do you believe that something is going to happen?” I asked shaking the cup again.

“I'm not sure,” he answered pensively. “I don't think so. I know that Joshwin will take very good care of you.”

My eyes narrowed, Mom hadn't mentioned anything about Joshwin. So, dad knew more than I did. “He already does,” I answered quickly and defensively.

“I know. It's good to see that you are growing close” Dad took the dice cup from me, when I finished. It was like this conversation was turning into a tug war about who would win the right to control the subject.

“We are. I don't think that there would be anyone better suited for me.”

“No, there wouldn't be because that other person would have been chosen for you, if it were meant to be.” The cup banged against the table. As he lifted, he revealed that I lost, yet again. Dad's face turned smug and teasing.

“I'm going to bed,” I announced quickly. Another set of really uncomfortable questions were about to see the light of day and I wasn't playing anymore. Eager to avoid the intimacy subject by making an escape to my room seemed like the safest way to do that.

In my room, I picked up my book to continue where I had left off. I let the world and words on the pages steal me away. I wasn't going to worry about what my mother had seen until she could see it clearly. I wasn't going to think about Joshwin and what happened at the river either.

Serenity called from the outside of my window as she added a knock on the glass to make sure that I heard her. Since when did people stop using doors? Besides, it wasn't like Serenity ever used what I considered to be my emergency exit.

“You can come in,” I answered not bothering to lift my head from my book.

“No, you come out here,” Serenity called back.

“Fine,” I grumbled. I got off the bed and pushed the already half open window up. She sat on the eave cross-legged and staring up at the stars. Her legs were bare and a giant sweater covered her upper body. I could only guess whom it belonged to.

“Where have you been?” I asked.

“Out,” she mouthed quietly, while still looking up at the stars.

“Is there anything that you need?” I asked concerned. However looking at her face, she seemed so much better in one way, though still sad in so many other ways. Deep down, she was still lost.

“No,” she answered after a while.

“What is it then?” I prodded. With the way her lips were set and the tension lingering around her mouth, my bet was that she wanted something.

“Do you believe that there could be truth in people’s spirit going to heaven when they die?” She asked without looking at me.

“I think it's true… too humans believe it.”

“I think it's a nice thought.” She kept staring aimlessly at the dark sky.

“Sure, it is. Are you thinking about Vasvár?” I asked.

“Yes. I miss him. It’s like the balance at home is totally off now that he’s gone. Mom keeps crying and she even spends the nights alone. The house seems so empty. Well, I just miss him so much.”

“I know you do.”

“I don't think you do... I mean…I miss him. I miss him in everything that I do and every breath that I take. It's like when I breathe, I’m not inhaling the oxygen that I need to live.” Her chocolate brown eyes were lost in sadness. I wasn’t sure what to say to that.

Serenity shifted her weight. Something stirred in the air. I couldn't quite place. Taking in her desolate eyes beneath the sadness, there was something different, something new and exciting that had changed in her. I decided to be as honest as I possibly could and admit my shortcomings.

“I am so sorry for your loss. I'll stop pretending that I understand how you feel because I don't think that I do.”

“I know you don't... He wasn't your dad.” She sighed. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to be a bitch.” She sent me a pair of apologetic puppy dog eyes.

“It's okay.” I paused. “Do you think his spirit is up there, like the humans do?”

“No. I believe his soul will enter the Garden. Maybe, his spirit will rise and live on in the nature that surrounds us here.” There was a silence for a moment, before she spoke again. ”I don't think that I will ever leave this place. It would be like giving him up forever, like tearing him from my heart for good. I couldn't bear that. I want to be where his spirit still lives... but I still like the idea of a soul going to heaven. It's romantic.” A weak smile crawled across her face.

I had to agree with that. This was Vasvár's home. This was where his spirit would still live. “I believe that he’ll live strong here. He’ll be in everything, Serenity. Nature will love him just as he loved nature.” It would, since Vasvár had been linked to the earth, just as Junius still was.

“Thanks.” She moved her legs up, hugging them to her chest. She looked goddess-like in the dark light with her hair shimmering pale and like silver. Her skin was flawless and fluent slipping effortlessly over her perfect bone structure.

The wind moved that something indescribable in the air again, but I still couldn't define what it was. I knew that I had smelled it before, but not quite like this.

“Hey... where's Saddettin?” As I said his name, the faint twitch at her lips became a full-blown smile.

“With my Dad.”

“Okay.” I couldn’t help, but feel warmth blossom in my chest. “It's so nice to see you smile like that.” It was incredible. Even by mentioning Saddettin's name, her face changed so completely and her expression became one of utter joy. I couldn't help but wonder if I looked that way, when I heard Joshwin's name. The unintended smile that powered my face answered that question.

A slow breeze fanned across the roof and the undefined smell wafted past me again. I sniffled to get a better sense of what it was. The scent was warm and sweet, but at the same time it reminded me of something else. Last time I smelled it, it was like death and love, but this time it was more like life and love. The fragrances were so similar, but not quite the same. I suddenly knew what it was. It was blood. However, it was not the kind you smelled when you cut your finger and definitely not the same as that horrible decaying scent of Vasvár’s mangled and dead body. I took a slow breath through my nose. Yes, it was absolutely more life than death this time. As fast as the blink of an eye, a few pieces of the puzzle started to fit together.

“Where did you go today?” I asked suspiciously.

“The clearing behind the hill, north of here,” she answered. Her eyes were closed and face fully tilted toward the sky. “It's really pretty there now with all the leaves changing color.”

“Huh... so why is Saddettin talking to your dad?” I continued working through the puzzle to see if more pieces fit together. She didn't answer, but her coy little smile more than snapped the pieces into place. After a certain event, Saddettin would have a conversation with Serenity’s father.

“Serenity, I smell... blood.” I hesitated, watching and waiting for her reaction.

“Hmm.” That was all she answered.

“Did you do what I think you did?” I knew that I would be able to smell when a Thumánn girl lost her virginity. However, I had never smelled it in my life, so I wasn't sure what I was looking, well, smelling for really.

“Yes. Saddettin and I made love,” she answered without further ado. I blinked rapidly.

“You did what?!?” I blurted gob smacked.

“You heard me.” Her tone was a little zealous.

“Okay. So he just arrived, you talked for what, ten minutes, and then you made love?” I gaped at her. How could it be that easy?

“Something like that... but I had to help him a little.” She shrugged.

“You didn't!” I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

“I did.” Serenity's head was bobbing quietly up and down. She wasn’t smiling though.

I shook my head in disbelief. “Do you know how wrong that is? Oh, sweet Earth. Anyone ever tell you about right and wrong?”

“I do know right from wrong! Give me a little credit. Besides, I didn't have to help him that much.” Her eyes stayed with me. In the past, she never had any qualms of using her affinity, but I never suspected that she would take it this far. I wasn’t sure if I was offended or I should laugh at her. It was so typical Serenity.

“You have absolutely no shame,” I muttered.

“No.” She laughed gently for a moment then her face got serious. “I needed him so much in that moment. It was like he was my salvation from all this chaos and pain. I know all the way into my bones that he is beyond perfect for me. I didn’t want to wait. I couldn’t wait. I wanted him to quench this endless agony inside of me and he did.”

Her words all made sense to me. I understood her perfectly. I felt exactly the same way. I needed Joshwin on a level that was probably beyond sanity. Perhaps, that was why I felt so bent out of shape. That reminded me of something else. “But you’re not changing yet.”

“Elvie, I think that I already did. I just didn't notice because Saddettin wasn't anywhere near here. I wasn’t able to have all those bodily reactions that you’re having because physically, he wasn’t here.” Her brown eyes suddenly radiated happiness and the sorrow that had been carved into her face was nowhere to be found.

I held my breath for a moment. “I have to ask. How was it?” It was a little embarrassing to ask, but I was dying to know. It wasn't like I had much to tell, today a little more than yesterday, but that still didn't add up to much.

She laughed warmly. “Finally, you ask. I thought you going to be all pissy that I used a little 'magic' on him.” She made quotation marks in the air, while rolling her eyes. “It was overwhelming, incredible and exciting. It was just so new and the sensation of it was astonishing. His hands and the way that he kisses is beyond anything that I expected. It hurt a little in the beginning, but he was so gentle. I could go on, but with your eyes in danger of popping out of their sockets, I'll just stop now.” She evaluated my face and it was clear that she understood.

“Thanks.” I barely mouthed. My throat was clogged. I tried to swallow. As much as I had wanted to know a second ago, I didn't want to know anything now. It was like I opened a floodgate. Knowing how awesome Serenity thought making love was just reminded me how much I wasn't getting closer. For the first time in my life, I felt an honest and debilitating stab of raw jealousy.

He shows up here…

How easy it was for her.

I feared my eyes were brimming with tears. I wouldn’t give into them. I understood his need for time better, but it hurt so much to be rejected. Again!

“Well, how are things with Joshwin? Any closer?” Before I could even answer, she moved close and sniffled in my direction. “No, huh?”

“No,” I retorted. She would know what virginal blood smelled like. “Don't do that,” I complained, and made a theatric display by moving further away from her.

“I can still help you,” she offered trying to hide a snide grin. It didn’t take long for her to return to her good-ole-moral-lacking self.

“Still, no thank you!” Though, I secretly and seriously considered that maybe she should help. Not getting what you wanted wasn't particularly fun.

“Sorry.” She tried to hide her chuckle behind her hand.

“What do you think Luam will say?” I asked ignoring her grin.

“He'll be okay, but I think he'll wish that we had waited until we knew each other better.” Her gaze was serious again.

“You can't really blame him. Can you?” I couldn’t help, but smile a bit. This was probably was a daunting day for a father. Setting his daughter free was one thing, but having it happen at the crack of a whip was something different. It would hardly have registered that his daughter’s soul mate had arrived.

“I guess not.”

“You can't really hide that either.” I countered her earlier sniff teasingly by leaning in, inhaling loudly through my nose.

“No,” she answered making a face. “How long do you think the smell will stick?”

“I don't know… maybe a day or so, but that's only a wild guess,” I said, shrugging.

“I hope it won't be much longer. It's like having a neon sign strapped to your back, blinking and saying 'open for business'.” Her voice went musical and she giggled. “I can kind of see why you think what's happening between you and Joshwin is embarrassing. Nothing’s private.”

“Tell me about it. Serenity, don't flatter yourself. You wouldn't keep it private, even if your life depended on it.”

“I know,” she chuckled, clearly knowing I was right. She was pretty much an open book. What you see is what you get.

“Evening, girls.” A very familiar voice drawled. Joshwin rounded the corner of the eave.

“Joshwin... hi.” Serenity squeaked. I couldn’t even locate one single word in my head. How embarrassing would it be if he heard our conversation? My face heated.

 Joshwin held onto the edge of the roof to the second story as he scurried past us and sat down next me. He slapped a wet kiss on my forehead. It still made my heart throb.

Hey, beautiful.” Joshwin’s lips didn’t move as he spoke.

“Hi,” I breathed. I leaned to his side and nestled in, while nuzzling my head at the base of his neck. He hugged me, locking me in place with his arm.

“You okay?” He smoothed his hand over my forehead. It was comforting and made me feel less lonely. He would detect my sudden mood drop from my conversation with Serenity.

“I will be,” I answered quietly. I couldn’t lie to him and refuse that I was feeling sad. Though, that was what I felt like doing. Besides I would be fine, once we got to the point where we were alone and finally gave our bodies to each other. That would take away all of this ache.

I sensed he knew that I was holding back, but he let me and only reverently kissed my hair. I appreciated how he let me keep this to myself.

“You two are so gross,” Serenity complained, dripping with sarcasm.

“We are not,” Joshwin threw back. “I'll give you and Saddettin a week. Then we’ll see how gross you are.” Serenity and I burst out laughing at the same time. Joshwin’s brows furrowed. “What??”

“Nothing,” I answered, while trying to reel in my laughter. Joshwin suddenly lost interest and focused his attention elsewhere. We sat in silence for a while as our giggles subsided.

You smell that, right?” Joshwin's soft lips didn't move and a small indention between his brows deepened. He breathed in through his nose carefully and I nodded head infinitesimally. “Is that... Is that blood? Serenity's blood?” I had to bite down my lip not to smile as I nodded my head a tiny bit again.

“Could you two not have mute conversations when I'm right here?” Serenity hissed annoyed.

Joshwin breathed in again, while I seriously tried not to laugh. It really was a blinking neon sign. I would give Joshwin about another second until he did the math. His mouth fell open a bit. “Is that... Holy crap. Is that really virginal blood?” He questioned. His gaze floating down to met my eyes. I nodded discreetly again. He finished the puzzle the same way that I did. He covered his mouth with his hand to muffle his shock and worked hard not to stare at Serenity in utter astonishment.

“Oh, for Earth's sake,” she complained again, hugging her legs tighter to her chest.

Joshwin just smiled and pursed his lips, but said nothing that I expected. “Actually, I just came to say good night.” He cupped his hand around my chin and kissed me softly. I was instantly hungry for more, but I made good of my promise and didn't push for anything else. I just enjoyed his gentle kiss and kissed him back just as softly. He rested his forehead against mine for a moment before he rose and grabbed a hold at the ledge of the roof above. “Hey, Serenity.” His tone was smug then he wagged his brows. “Congrats.”

Before Serenity had the chance of castigating him or delivering a few choice lines, he jumped off the roof and landed below on the ground.

“Ugh... you're such a traitor,” she spat at me. I just laughed. I was usually never the one with the upper hand.

“I am not.” I did my best to sound offended. “I'm not the one who's flashing the sex smell.  You are.”

She groaned. “I seriously hope that you're right and this will go away, like soon.”

Serenity left shortly after that. She had a feeling Saddettin was done talking to her spiritual father. It was time to snoop around to find out what had been said between them. Climbing into bed shortly after, I hoped Joshwin might pay me a visit. I waited for what seemed like forever. He didn’t come.

Breakfast was first on the agenda, well after a much needed shower. I smelled my shirt. It didn't exactly smelling like violets that was for sure. I put the fact that Joshwin hadn't come by during the night to the back of my mind. I wanted to start fresh today. I would be a better soul mate. I would prove that I deserved to have him and that my hormones and I could wait.

I had a feeling today would be important, very important for Serenity. Our talk last night made me realize that times were changing and not just for me. In a matter of days, she had lost a father, gained a soul mate and moved very fast with him.

I skipped down stairs lithely, joined breakfast and devoured my food. Mom was at the table, along with Serenity, whom had her arm hinged through Saddettin's so casually, like she'd had him at her side for years opposed to hours. Saddettin sat formally with a calm look defining his wise gray eyes.

At least, Serenity seemed to have found her way home because she had changed her clothes and done her hair. I was happy to acknowledge that. The smell wasn't too bad either.

I poured another cup of tea while I listened to my mom explain the ceremony that apparently was being held at my house tonight. Yeesh, Serenity really did know how to get things moving. Whoever said time made you wiser clearly wasn't thinking about Serenity or her uncanny persuasive affinity. I felt bad for Saddettin. The poor boy probably didn't even know what hit him.

I figured it might be polite to join the conversation now that Mom was done with her serenade of how to perform a commitment ceremony. I knew that I should pay attention, but if she had to repeat it once more, it wouldn't kill her. I didn't want to think too hard about it, being nervous in advance never helped anybody.

“Are you coming to school today?” I asked between sips of the scorching tea.

“No.” A smirk grew on her face and she leaned toward Saddettin.

“I'll bring your homework,” I offered. Had I actually expected her to go now that he was here?

“You go to school?” Saddettin asked puzzled.

“Yes, we go to school with all of them.” Serenity peered adoringly at him and rolled her eyes, when referring to our fellow students.

“Really?” Saddettin tone was astonished.

“Maybe that was left out of the conversation yesterday.” I chewed my lip trying not to laugh.

“Ha! Ha!” Serenity mocked and narrowed her eyes at me.

“Maybe a few other topics were left out as well?” I said sweetly.

“Elvie. Don't!” Serenity warned. Knowing one another for all our lives paid off now. She knew exactly what I was referring to. I just waited for Saddettin to take the bait. Mom looked back and forth a little confused.

Saddettin had a right to know. Didn't he? “Saddettin... did you sense anything strange last night?” I prodded.

He made a doubtful face. “No.” He let his fingers slide over the thick brown braid and threw it back over his shoulder.

“Huh, that's funny.... So Serenity didn't tell you what she could do?” I continued.

“I warned you.” Serenity raised a brow, like she knew so much better.

“Not in so many words,” He replied. Serenity leaned her chin contently on his shoulder. “Elvirina... can I call you Elvie, that's what everyone else seems to call you.” He smiled overbearingly.

“Yes.” I sipped the tea again.

“Elvie, did Serenity tell you what I could do?” Saddettin took a bite of his bread, waiting.

“Er... no,” I answered politely.

“Okay.” He leaned slightly across the table on his muscled arms. He met my eyes straight on. There was something incredulous about the way his lips were set. I couldn't let go of his stare. Before I knew it, I heard his voice in my head. “I know you control the wind and you’re reading my mind right now.

I was shocked as I fumbled for words. His lips hadn’t moved at all. “Oh,” I gasped moronically. I heard a loud chuckle that I knew well. Serenity. I ignored her. “You know people’s have affinities?”

“I do,” he answered kindly.

Serenity laughed louder. Saddettin then joined her seeming wildly amused.

“You knew what she was doing?” I muttered, I wasn’t sure I meant it as a question.

Saddettin nodded and gave me a sympathetic look. Instantly, I knew that I meddled where I shouldn’t have. It wasn’t any of my business and Saddettin had clearly known exactly what had been going on. No matter how wrong it was of Serenity to use her affinity on people, I shouldn’t have interfered between soul mates.

“So much for a moral high ground,” I mumbled.

“Uh, a spider caught in its own web. What a pretty sight,” she chimed satisfied. She was still laughing and sounding so superior. I promised myself never to get mixed in with other people’s business. That always seemed to have a nasty catch and sling shot right back at you, hitting you smack in the face. Everyone was still laughing when Joshwin entered, missing the joke.

“What?” he asked.

“I told you not to go there.” I detested the victorious edge in Serenity’s elegant chime.

“What did she do now?” Joshwin asked grabbing a slice of bread from the basket.

“Now why would you expect that it's something that I did?” I turned and gave Joshwin a sour glare.

“Because it usually is.” He flashed a boyish grin while chewing. In spite of my chagrin and annoyed exterior, he looked really good today. Loose chinos and a slim long sleeved t-shirt that was definitely tighter than the ones that he usually wore. It was probably just to distract me and that wasn't even an accomplishment in itself. I had the attention span of a toddler.

“Let’s go. We're late for school,” I mumbled, scuttling out of my chair.

“No, we're not.” He winked. “You’re just irritated.”

Now this was at the point of harassment. “Shut up,” I snapped. Why did I always have to be the laughing stock around here? “Ugh.” I groaned and everybody laughed at me as usual. Even Saddettin. He was catching on too quickly.

I stalked upstairs to pack my bag. Frustrated, I yanked the books out of my bag dumping them on my bed. I raked through the mess on my desk trying to find the paper due for today. Why did I even bother doing it? No one ever checked anyway. Searching, I found a white envelope. I stared at it frozen, like if I touched it my fingers would burn. Finally, I managed to pick it up. I sat down in the middle of the mess on my bed and the untidy sheets. I couldn't help smiling and feeling flattered reading the childlike swerves of Blake's handwriting. Something inside the pit of my stomach reacted.

“Elvie... come on, we don't have time for that.” Joshwin's voice travelled up the stairs. I quickly folded the letter again and slit it in between two books. I would prove to Joshwin that this was nothing because it was nothing!

Downstairs, he was waiting for me with an amused expression. Outside, Illian and Chrystan were apparently going to school again and were waiting for us at the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment