Elvirina belongs to the Thumánn people, a breed that appears human. Their secret society is set apart by their unique gifts, a very different way of life and lastly how they love their men. At birth, every Thumánn female is appointed a soul mate. At the age of seventeen, Elvirina is more than ready to start her adult life with her given soul mate– Joshwin. Living apart from their own people, but existing amongst humans, Elvirina and Joshwin are forced to change schools. A shift in their relationship occurs when Elvirina encounters the enigmatic Blake at her most vulnerable moment and must face the consequences.


May 28, 2010

Chapter 11: Leaps of Faith




Elvirina



“How are you today?” I asked Serenity. She sat on the stairs to my house when we arrived home.

“Better,” she answered without much conviction to her flat tone. She rubbed her face with her long elegant fingers.

“Is there anything we can do?” Joshwin asked concerned.

“Want to go swimming?” Serenity asked pointed in my direction. I didn't really feel like it, but I remembered how much she used to love it, so I slapped on a happy face and agreed to go.

Joshwin stayed behind with the other boys as we started the run down to the river. The day was warm and filled with the last hours of summer. With my towel tugged under my arm and my bikini underneath a loose shirt, I realized maybe going swimming wasn't such a bad idea after all.

“Want to jump?” Serenity asked smirking. She knew all too well that I wasn't as reckless as her, especially when it came to the stunts she liked to pull diving off the cliffs.

“How about you jump and I watch?” I had jumped once from the cliffs surrounding the pools up the river. That one jump was the first, last and only jump that I had done. I had flown off the cliff like an eagle, but I had landed like an elephant flat on my stomach. I remembered the feeling of my lids being torn apart by the force of the impact and how my vision had been blurry for the better part of an hour all too well. So, that was a no. I was not ever doing that again.

“Sure.” She grinned. If she wasn't so sad, I would have smacked her.

We slowed to a walk a short stop from the pools. I knew Serenity would have a lot of questions. I ignored her and concentrated on the walk instead.

“Have you done it yet?” She asked without embarrassment. I wanted to tell her to butt out, but I didn't. Besides, I wasn't ready to get into the fact that Joshwin had rejected me once again. It was humiliating. I felt like a leper at a black tie event. The rejection was taking its toll on me, but I wasn't ready to admit that yet.

“No,” I answered cuttingly.

“I can help you,” she unsubtly suggested, while showing no morals in using her ability.

“Absolutely not.” Though, I actually did consider if that would work on Joshwin. I knew that it would.

“After that, I could help you forget that I helped you in the first place,” she added as a snide comment.

“Serenity... Please,” I begged.

“Fine. I'll mind my own business.” She pouted. “Please remember the action that you’re getting is the only exciting thing that I’ll experience for a while yet.”

“Eww,” I complained. I knew my face was all scrunched up.

Serenity turned her attention to the cliff that rose from the ground and was launched far into the sky. Her face lit up like a rising sun. She was an adrenaline junkie. “Sure you don't want to try again?” She joked with her head tilted up.

“I’m absolutely, positively sure,” I answered grimly.

“Your loss.” She shrugged. She threw her towel next to me and started up the trail that would eventually lead to the destination for her jump - the top of the mountain.

The sun streamed down between the trees, while soaking the grass and shore of the river in warm yellow light. I sat down and let the rays lick my skin, while energizing me. I heard Serenity's call letting me know that she was ready for her jump. I gazed up to see her fling her body off the cliff and elegantly rotate in a perfect double somersault. Her body slipped into the water with a small splash when she broke the surface.

“It's exhilarating.” She gushed climbing out of the water. I couldn't help grinning back at her. It had been days, since I'd seen that kind of life in her eyes. “You really should try it.” She snorted a bit and wringing her hair getting rid of the excess water.

“You know... maybe I should.” If Joshwin wasn't giving me the excitement that I was hungry for, maybe I could create it myself. I noticed Serenity's eyes almost bulge out of the sockets with surprise.

“Seriously?”

“Yeah, why not.” My response was a little too upbeat and cheery to be believable. I already hated that I agreed to this.

“Great,” she enthused. I followed behind her up the trail, climbing higher with each step. Adrenaline started pumping as we reached the top. I could feel myself chicken out and all my courage sieve from my body rapidly. “I might need a little help.” I arched a suggestive eyebrow.

She grinned understanding what I was asking. “Sure.” She took my hand and looked deep into me. “Elvie,” she said persuasively. “This is a great idea. You have nothing to fear.” She didn't blink, instead she just kept looking into my eyes. Her power over me slowly made me feel courageous and strong. “Just jump after me and land on your feet.” I nodded in response and it took in every bit of her manipulation. She released my hand and flung herself off the cliff in a mix between a pirouette and somersault. Once again, she landed elegantly in the water far, far below.

I drew in a big breath and centered myself, before I hurled my body off the edge, probably looking a lot less elegant than Serenity. I knew that I needed to act fairly quickly before Serenity's 'help' lost its appeal. A fraction of a second before the ground vanished below my feet, a hard gust of wind ripped my hair back. I forgot to control my affinity. I dropped toward the water, feeling strangely lighter than the air that I tore through. The adrenaline coursed through every cell of my body, as my feet penetrated the surface. I plunged deep into the water. It was so exhilarating and liberating. I felt absolutely free.

“That was awesome,” I bellowed as soon as my head was above water.

“I told you so,” she answered victorious.

“You're so smug.”

“I know,” she said climbing out of the pool again.

“I could actually get addicted to this.” Really, I could. Maybe this could be my distraction until Joshwin was ready to give in to me.

“You want to go for another one?” She was all ready to climb her way to the top again.

“After you.” I followed closely behind her.

“So that's what you're up to.” Joshwin grinned, while coming into view from the trail leading back to the houses. “I was wondering why you felt so... excited.” His eyebrows shot up to his forehead in a not so subtle suggestion.

I was instantly annoyed and blushed at the same time. I snapped back at him without thinking. “Well it's not over you... that's for sure.” I regretted my harsh comeback the second that it left my lips.

“That's not fair,” Joshwin grumbled. Hurt was pooling in his eyes.

“No... er, sorry,” I mused chagrined.

“Hey, Joshwin... Want to join us?” Serenity sounded almost like her old self again, cheerful and upbeat.

“Perhaps,” Joshwin answered. I suddenly noticed a figure behind him, someone that I didn't know. My eyes rested on the stranger standing behind my soul mate. “Serenity, someone's here to see you.” I noticed the sparkle in Joshwin's eyes. The stranger’s look wavered a few times between Serenity and me, then his eyes stayed with Serenity, who was climbing back down again. I studied the newcomer. He was fairly shorter than Joshwin by at least an inch or so. He was lean, but stocky as opposed to the lanky frame that teenage boys normally had. His stunning gray eyes were wise and his long dark hair was tied firmly at the nape of his neck and locked into a thick braid. His skin was tawny and dark, darker than even Joshwin's and mine.

A solemn smile lingered on his lips as he watched Serenity climb down. Instinctively, I knew exactly who he was. He was Serenity's Joshwin. She turned around completely oblivious to who was coming to see her. Politely, she smiled at the stranger and then held her hand out in a gesture to shake his.

“Serenity,” she stated introducing herself while being flawlessly polite.

“I know who you are,” he answered assertively. “I came because you needed me.”

I took Joshwin's hand and watched Serenity's face surreptitiously as all the pieces fell into place. Her face changed from ‘I-can-handle-just-about-anything’ to one of extreme gratitude. She held her hands to her perfect mouth and stared at her soul mate’s face for the first time. “Saddettin.” Her voice was threadbare behind her elegant fingers.

“Yes. I'm here for you. I felt your grief and your despair. So here I am.” I noticed Saddettin's accent. It placed his home far from here and at what was supposed to be home for us - Hananjii.

“You're here,” Serenity mumbled, while looking mainly like she'd seen a ghost.

“Yes.” He grinned. His laugh was soothing and charming. He was clearly amused by Serenity's obvious stupor. To be honest, she did appear to have left her brain at the house. All she did now was stare at him with her big brown eyes.

At the next event, I had to blink a few times to make sure that my eyes didn't deceive me. Serenity simply leaned into Saddettin's arms and rested her head against his shoulder. She suddenly started crying and sobbed heartbroken in his embrace. In her move, there was no hesitation, no doubt and no fear. She simply went into his arms like they had known each other forever, or at least grown up together like Joshwin and I had. However, she fit his body perfectly.

Joshwin's voice brought me back to reality and stopped my idiotic staring. “Can I have a jump with you?”

“Um... er, sure.” I tore my eyes from the new lovers. “Maybe privacy would be good for them,” I whispered. I suddenly felt horribly intrusive watching them.

“Just what I was thinking, besides I really do want to see you jump.” Joshwin pushed his hair back, while giving me a boyish grin.

“It's not going to be pretty,” I promised, while trying to ignore Serenity's sobs.

“Let me be the judge of that,” Joshwin said as he tugged on my hand. He pulled off his shirt dropping it at the foot of the cliff. I followed, while enjoying the sight of his lean, agile body as he led the way to the top. Once we reached our destination, I remembered that last time I had needed Serenity's help to see that this was plausible and even a good idea.

“Er... you should know that Serenity worked her magic on me the last time,” I admitted sheepishly.

“Really... and here I thought you all of a sudden forgot your fear of heights.” He grinned smugly.

“You know. Don't you?” I asked, while feeling quite disappointed.

“Of course, I do.”

“Am I ever going to get used to this?” I asked rhetorically adding an eye roll for theatrics. Joshwin seemed to enjoy that even more.

“I hope not, but I know that you can do this,” he encouraged. I sucked in a deep breath filling my lungs with air and centered myself. I was ready. I grabbed his hand and gave Joshwin's blue eyes an unyielding look.

“Let's go together,” I said, as I got ready to leap off the cliff. Joshwin followed my call without further ado. Before I knew it, we flew through the air and plunged into the water with a loud splash. The rush was exhilarating once again.

I swam toward the surface in need of a breath. “I knew that you could do it.” Joshwin annoyingly cheered from beside me, like he had to cheer on a class of five year olds, as I poked my head above water. I rolled my eyes exasperated, but I couldn't help feeling a little victorious. Joshwin swam to me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“I'm so happy that Saddettin came for Serenity. I think that he will help her heal.” Joshwin's wet hair pushed back wasn't making him less attractive.

“I think so too,” I responded, but my mind was already somewhere else. I wrapped my legs around Joshwin and put my lips on his. Beneath my legs, I felt the edge of his shorts and against my chest, the warmth of his skin. Instantly, I was all flames and fury again. I knew that he felt it, but I did nothing to hide it. He didn't seem unwilling.

“Your day is almost up,” I whispered expectantly, while my lips were still against his. It was just a little reminder of our talk last night. I felt the pushiness deep in my stomach, but I couldn't control it, so I ignored it.

“Elvie!” He snapped, while unwrapping my legs from around his waist. I was surprised by his abrupt motion and a little baffled.

“What?” I argued. His face was suddenly torn and distressed.

“You don't get it, do you?” He asked rhetorically, as his eyes narrowed at me like I was completely missing the point.

“No.” I played along.

“Stop pressuring me.” He forced me to release the hold that I had around his neck.

“I'm not pressuring you.” I wasn't that bad. I was hungry and he said he was too, so why not just eat?

“Yes, you are... Don't you see that? You’re changing so fast and it is a little too much to deal with. You're coming on so strong that I can't keep up with you.” His voice was hard and argumentative. I could see the distress that he was battling. It was plastered over his face.

“Well excuse me, but I thought you wanted this too!” I threw back at him, while knowing that I was being completely unfair.

“You know that I do, but I asked you last night to give me some time and you give me what... ten hours? It was a general request.”

I was treading water in more ways than one. “No, it wasn't. You asked for a day and all I did was remind you that the day is almost up,” I defended. I couldn't seem to stop this argument, even though I knew that I should.

“Yes! You’re reminding me all the time and that's the problem. That's the pressure!” He didn't yell at me, but I was definitely being scolded.

I knew that I should say that I was sorry, but in the heat of the moment, it was the last thing that I wanted to do. When being stupid and immature, I did something even stupider and even more immature. “Sorry if the idea of making love to me is so horrible to you, I won't bother you with it anymore!” I threw in a mean glare at him, before I turned and started swimming toward the shore. By the breaking water behind me, I could hear that he was following me.

I climbed to the rocky shore and was all up on ground before I noticed something different. Serenity and her newly arrived soul mate were gone.



Joshwin

I hated that I made her feel that way. I hated myself for not being man enough to finally get around to it. I truly hated myself in this moment. She was upset and it was my fault. I racked my brain for ways to make it right, so I could give her what she wanted. I wanted to yell in her head that she was being immature and selfish. I also knew that wouldn't help my case one bit, so I remained silent.

I followed in pursuit, by swimming behind her. I was so close that her feet were almost kicking my face.  As I noticed the shape of her thighs and the curve of her waist, I wished that she could feel me the same way that I felt her. Then she wouldn't for one second have the slightest doubt how much I wanted her. She would know how she made me feel, especially last night and the power that she held over me. As I thought about it, a new approach sprung to life in my head. If she would let me, I would show her just how much I wanted her.

Quickly, I chased her out of the water. She would run home, if I didn't catch her. I hooked an arm around her waist, but crashed my whole body into her when she had stopped abruptly.

“They're gone,” she mumbled.

“I don't care.” Not bothering to think about whom she was referring to, I turned her around and made her face me. I could feel the anger spring from her body, but as she found my eyes, the feeling changed. I sucked in my lip for a split second wondering just how far I had guts to take this.

I forced my lips to hers. While breathing in her intoxicating smell, I completely let how sweet she was really get to the core of me. I couldn't stop the small groan from escaping my lips or the rapid change of direction that my blood made to center itself at my midsection. It was all due to her allure. Suddenly, I couldn’t stop anything. I was rendered powerless.

I hugged her closer to me, while slipping my hand under her clingy wet shirt and getting my fingers tangled in the soaked fabric. With a little effort, I found my goal - the soft curves at her chest. Tracing the edge of the firm nipple only fueled her fire. Her longing for me was enormous. I had no idea how to deal with it.

More so, what if I hurt her? She had absolutely no control of her actions. She just went ahead and continued gunning for what she wanted. Right now, she was my responsibility and the last thing that I wanted to do was hurt her. She was my soul mate and I loved her to the core of my being. I just needed time to figure out how to deal with all of this. This was overpowering. I had wanted it for a year. I had wanted her for a year. Though having everything handed to me on a silver platter was frightening beyond belief.

My lips were willingly against hers, while I was searching for the soft touch of her tongue. I moved my hand from her chest, slid it over her delicate skin and felt the gentle curve of her backside. I could feel her skin tighten to my touch and her arms wrapped possessively around my neck. She was breathing deeply, while her exhales became heavy. I pushed us toward the ground and placed myself over her. Her body twisted underneath my weight as she grabbed my hair in a passionate kiss. Elvie's soft lips moved with demanding advances.

My head and body felt strangely foreign. Everything was a blur to me, but I couldn’t stop all of a sudden.  Like some voodoo master was controlling my hand, it found the edge of her panties just inside her thigh and pushed them slightly aside. Her muscles stiffened for a fraction of a second, before her leg dropped any sign of defense and moved out of the way. Without even thinking if this was okay, I let my fingers touch one of the softest places that they had ever felt. Elvie's twisting body moved even closer and through her lips escaped the sweetest and soft moan. I felt a burning tingle in my stomach. I simply had to feel the soft skin again, just one more time. So, I did. This time, I inexplicably added a small bit of pressure and let a finger slide slowly in between her legs. She was so incredibly soft and warm. Her hands tightened painfully in my hair and her lips went still against mine. I moved my hand back and forth a few times, as I tested how to do this. A still small, but more defined moan left her throat and the sweet sound threw my heart into an ecstatic overdrive. An explosion erupted inside Elvie. I couldn't pinpoint the exact emotions. They were just flung around in a chaotic mess.

“Joshwin…” she gasped. She opened her eyes and looked at me. Her pupils were large and dark. Panic flared in my stomach. What the hell was I doing? Quickly she reacted, taking my face in her palms. “It’s okay,” she said almost like she was reading my mind, though so far she hadn’t been able to.

“Oh no. Not like this, Elvie.” This setting was far from good enough for her. It almost felt like I was debasing her. Besides that, I needed to be ready before going all the way. This was important and defining for us, so making love had to be done the right way and the utmost respect and not as a spur of the moment thing on a riverbank. “Sweet Elvie,” I slowly moved my hand from deep between her legs and placed it on her naked thigh. “I didn’t mean to go this far. I don’t know what came over me.” I blinked a few times and it was like the fuzzy feeling in my head retreated.

“Please don’t worry about it. I love you and it’s okay,” she answered, almost inaudibly. Her lips started to twist up into a sensual smile. “Uhm, we could go back to the houses or the plateau where we’re sure to be alone?” She suggested.

My heart throbbed painfully in my chest. I really hadn’t meant to lead her on like this. I wasn’t sure why I had pushed so far, when thinking consciously about it. I knew that I couldn’t go all the way right now. now. So when I couldn’t do that, I shouldn’t have done this. “I want you just the same way that you want me, but I'm not ready.” I told her honestly, while hoping that she could read my face. Her mood shifted to dark disappointment. “Elvie, I promise you that we will soon, very soon.” I looked at her loving eyes, hoping that I was getting through to her. She had to understand why not.

“It's okay, Joshwin.” She comforted and bit down on her lip. She clung herself closer to me and whispered seductively in my ear. “Promise... Promise me that we will soon.” Relief washed over me and I tucked my head into her neck burrowing my face in her wet hair. Though, I had a sneaky suspicion that she only said what she did to console my too delicate and fucked up feelings. She comforted me because she loved me, not because she wanted to wait.

I love you and thank you. I promise that we will.” No one other than Elvie could hear the vow that I just took.

No comments:

Post a Comment