Elvirina belongs to the Thumánn people, a breed that appears human. Their secret society is set apart by their unique gifts, a very different way of life and lastly how they love their men. At birth, every Thumánn female is appointed a soul mate. At the age of seventeen, Elvirina is more than ready to start her adult life with her given soul mate– Joshwin. Living apart from their own people, but existing amongst humans, Elvirina and Joshwin are forced to change schools. A shift in their relationship occurs when Elvirina encounters the enigmatic Blake at her most vulnerable moment and must face the consequences.


Jun 13, 2011

Chapter 42: What Did You Just Say?


Elvirina



”Can I come in?” Joshwin asked after the soft rap on the door.

”Sure.” I scrambled, sitting up in bed with my legs all tangled in the sheets.

”Where's Blake?”

”In the shower.” The watchful look from yesterday was still plastered all over his gorgeous face. I had seen it more than once now. ”What?” I asked when Joshwin sat down on the edge of the bed.

”I'm not completely sure.” He put his hand to my cheek and closed his eyes. He took a deep deliberate breath and focused. His palm slipped to my neck, letting it rest there for a long silent moment. He was completely lost in concentration. ”Lie down for me,” he asked softly.

”What is it?” I muttered. His face kept looking worried. When I was scudded down in bed, lying on my back he pulled the sheets off me and gazed at me for another long moment. ”You're freaking me out.” Joshwin smiled a slyly, but didn't answer. He placed his hand over my heart against my scar. He sat still for a while again, closing his eyes. What was he doing? My heart pumped harder with my sudden anxiety. He pulled my shirt all the way up to my neck, exposing my breasts as he leaned his ear against the maimed surface of my chest. He listened strenuously.

”What the fuck do you think you are doing?” Blake asked, while sounding completely distressed.  He glanced at me darkly. This was one of the situations were Blake was out of his element and frankly so was I.

”I have no idea.” I said with Joshwin still leaned over my chest. I had to admit it was rather uncomfortable to be sprawled in the semi-intimate state with the both of them in the room. Joshwin was simply less uncomfortable than the rest of us. Nakedness didn’t faze him.

”Be quiet... please,” Joshwin said softly. He lifted his head and met my frantic and confused eyes.  His gaze was piercing. He pulled my shirt down covering my breasts again, but my stomach was still exposed. He placed a hand over my belly, slid to the side, while closing his eyes and concentrating again.

Blake pulled on a shirt and finished drying his hair before he sat down at the head of the bed next to me. He was staring at Joshwin glumly, while the tension was rolling of his body.  Joshwin held up a finger silencing Blake, just as he was about to speak again. Joshwin's hand moved to the other side of my stomach and he fell back into concentration again. Blake shifted to stare, while silently questioning me. I shrugged feeling, just as blank as Blake looked. Joshwin finally opened his eyes again.

”Can I talk now?” Blake said. ”You're acting stranger than normal.”

”I know. Elvie, don't you feel it?” Joshwin asked intensely.

”Feel what? I haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about?”

”Elvie, when was your last period?”

”It was... I don't remember.” I only had twice, once after our commitment marking the end of my transformation. ”Oh, and just after I married Blake... I think.” I looked at Blake, then back at Joshwin. ”What does that have to do with anything?”

”Everything. I think you might be... pregnant.” Joshwin had sucked in a large amount of air before he said that last word.

”What?!?” I blurted stunned. All air left my lungs. Did someone just punch me?

”I'm almost certain that I'm right.”

”But that's impossible.” I spat in denial. This was preposterous and not to mention genetically impossible.

”I know.” He closed his eyes and leaned his ear to my stomach. He listened for a long time again. ”I'm right. I know I am,” Joshwin said lifting his head.

"How can that be?" I asked sounding like a petulant child.

"I have no idea." He paused, placing a hand over my stomach again. ”Can't you feel it?”

I shook my head. ”What is it that you feel?”

”Life... I think. I felt it yesterday as well.” Joshwin moved his hand just over my bellybutton.

"Hey, you guys, what the fuck is going on? You seriously think she’s pregnant?" Blake said low and completely stunned. His eyes were wide and he was paling fast.

”Yes,” Joshwin answered calmly, while keeping his eyes on mine.

”It is way too early to process information like this.” Blake said. I felt the energy coming from him. The familiar electricity that he created waving back and forth uncontrolled and a bit dangerous.

”Well, no matter what time it is, you got her pregnant,” Joshwin said.

"Wait... why do you automatically assume that I got her pregnant? I thought I wasn't supposed to be able to do that." Blake tilted his head into his hands. He made a strange growling noise that was muffled by his palms.

”You're not,” Joshwin said flatly.

”Joshwin will never be able to get me pregnant, so that kind of only leaves you.  Not that you should be able to get me pregnant any more than he could." I turned to Joshwin. ”Are you sure?” I frowned, knowing how unattractive I looked when I made this doubtful grimace.

"Huh... I really thought I was getting better at understanding this life. But I feel so fucking weird saying this. You said and I quote: 'It takes two guys when excluding your soul mate to get a Thumunn woman pregnant' and to my knowledge I only count as one and I'm human!" Blake lifted his head pinning me with a glare that frightened me.

”With Thum·nn soul mate abilities,” Joshwin added.

”How about a pregnancy test? That way we could be sure.” Blake said.

”That probably wouldn't work. Elvie's hormones probably wouldn't be the same as a humans.” Joshwin said talking about the whole thing like it was already set in stone.

”No, why would it? Nothing else you do is,” Blake mumbled bleakly.

”I think we should ask Sibilla. She would know better. She would know what to look for.” Joshwin said.

”I'll get her.” Blake said and moved from the bed. ”I think that I need some air anyway.” Blake had been taken all our differences with ease, but perhaps this was what would push him over the edge, if this actually was true? And that was a big whopping if.

”Don't worry, Elvie. He'll be fine.” Joshwin said peacefully. He was always calm. It would take an earthquake of a proportionate scale to shake him. Not even this ridiculous idea of his that I was pregnant.

”Joshwin, you don't really think that I'm pregnant. You know as well as I do, that it’s impossible.”

”I know, but I feel it. Like I said... I feel life. Can't you sense it? Concentrate.” He moved his hand to my heart. ”Close your eyes. Feel inside yourself,” he urged. I closed my eyes and drew a deep centering breath. I concentrated and searched deep within myself, while looking for the life that Joshwin mentioned. ”You feel it?” he asked enthusiastically.

”No... I feel hungry. That's about it. Joshwin, I'm not pregnant.”

”You said your period is way overdue.”

”I know, but perhaps my cycle hasn't balanced yet. We both know that I don't really function the way I am supposed to. I fell in love with Blake, didn't I?” I shrugged. Joshwin laughed at my lame joke. ”So before you freak out Blake even more, let's see what mom has to say and you can stop this idea of yours.”

”It's not an idea,” Joshwin answered sounding offended.

”She's not here,” Blake said returning to my room. ”She's out with Junius.” Blake sat down in the chair. ”If Elvia's pregnant, who's the third guy?”

"Right you are," Joshwin said and turned to me with a dark look. "Elvie?"

"I didn't. I swear."

"Elvia?" Blake raised a brow at me.

"Stop blaming me for all the weird stuff that happens around here. Tingle boy causes most of it."

"That's true. He kind of the genetic freak around here," Joshwin bantered.

"Now you're getting all insulting." Blake turned toward Joshwin and narrowed his eyes at him coldly.

"Sorry."

"Apology accepted." Blake hesitated, obviously thinking. You could almost see the light bulb flicking on above his head. "Well considering weird. Perhaps none of us are your true soul mate, Elvia, and Joshwin and I knocked you up."

"Not likely," Joshwin answered immediately. The comment kind of stung.

"Well, maybe we shouldn't count anything out yet. We’ve seen some seriously strange stuff happen." Blake obliviously continued.

"That's true again. But I am her soul mate, so we can count that one out. Next suggestion?"

"Maybe Blake did get me pregnant all on his own. It's the only thing that makes sense," I answered.

"Nice to know you’re not dating anyone else," Blake taunted.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Ha!" I spat.

"You think that could be true? I mean, that I did it?" Blake asked Joshwin.

”Perhaps.” Joshwin traced his hand tenderly over my stomach again. ”I'm so sure that you're pregnant.”

We sat in silence for a little while, but several thoughts tore through my brain and they were all connected by one word. Impossible, but Joshwin wouldn't lie like that. He wouldn’t say anything like that if he did think it was true. It scared the crap out of me.

"Joshwin..." Blake called his name with anticipation, breaking through the swarm of thoughts crowding my mind.

"What?"

"Ah... wait, wait, wait... you seem awfully sure that you had absolutely nothing to do with this." Blake continued. None of us answered. Joshwin stared at my stomach and I stared at Joshwin. Both of us were silent as the grave. "You two still haven't..." It wasn't hard to figure out what Blake was getting at.

"No," Joshwin answered before I could even think the word.

"Ugh... I know you have your right to privacy and all that stuff. This is also so far out of my comfort zone that it’s fucking ridiculous, but you two really need to work this out," Blake said looking back and forth between us.

"I don't know how," Joshwin answered quietly. I would have bet my long black hair that Joshwin would never confide in Blake that way. I stared flabbergasted, almost forgetting how to breathe.

"Again, so far from comfortable. Don’t get me wrong because I seriously like being the only one sleeping with my wife, but you love each other. Work it out!" None one answered him and an ugly silence shook its giant head. "Have you tried?" Blake asked swallowing Earth knows what. No one answered that one either. "Okay, I'm not getting further involved, but I like it here and I like my, well, our little strange arrangement or family, if you prefer. So I need you two figure your shit out. One piece of advice and so help me God, I am never ever going to repeat this. Joshwin, be a man, stop thinking... it's not that fucking difficult!" Blake stopped his one-man show and we surrendered to the silence with Joshwin and me.

Rejection was whirling around in my stomach like a hurricane. I didn't need Blake to know that I was completely undesirable to Joshwin. I didn't need my privacy violated. Not with either of them. This supposed pregnancy was doing just that. I fled the room and slammed the door to my bathroom. I slumped down and sat against the wall. As expected, it didn't take long until I heard the knock on the door that I knew would come. However, it wasn't the voice that I expected to call my name. “Elvia?” Blake called.

“Go away.” He didn't listen as usual and opened the door. “So, now you know,” I sneered, feeling reluctant to explain my private life with Joshwin to Blake. He closed the door and sat down next to me. I was utterly embarrassed.

“I've known for a long time,” Blake said quietly and laced his fingers into mine.

“You have?” I dared a peek at him, without humiliation heating my face.

“Yes.”

Painful words found my lips. “He doesn't want me.”

“Sure, he does. He's just too much of a thinker.”

“I know that this is uncomfortable for you to talk about.” I tightened my hand around Blake’s warmth in appreciation.

“A little, but not talking doesn't really help anyone.” He paused. “I think Joshwin is simply sitting on his ass letting his mind eat away at him. He tends to over think things.”

“He's often carrying a lot of stuff around,” I said.

“Yes... I don't think that I have ever known anyone as sensitive as him. I mean that in a totally non-homosexual way. He is so in-tuned to his surroundings and especially to you. It has to be hard on him being around us... We're not exactly subtle.” I smiled involuntary. Blake was right. Our physical attraction was just as strong as ever and we made love often. Joshwin and Blake were about as close as the North and South Pole when it came to how they were privately.

“No.” Something popped into my head. “Before you said 'you still haven't,' did he know you knew?”

“Yes. I spoke to him about it a while back. Er... it strangely came up. He was honest enough to tell me the truth.” That was even more humiliating to me. The two of them were talking intimacy. It was generally a serious no-no. “Elvia, he didn't tell me. I knew even before then.”

“How?”

Blake's face dimpled in a soft smile. “I know the way you look at me.” He arched a suggestive brow. “You don't ever look like that when you're with him. You're very restrained with Joshwin.” I had never considered that it was obvious to Blake how I looked when I was around Joshwin, but thinking about it was palpable. I could often feel the difference myself. The desire that I purposely set free around Blake, I kept safely tied up around Joshwin. “But I also have my dreams of you and they're innocent.” Blake surprisingly looked at me with understanding. My mind wandered back to the time when I followed a dream in his head. Joshwin had told me about them. Blake's dreams were often linked to me. It was how he saved my life.

“Oh... I forgot. Does it make it easier for you?”

“I don't know. This life isn't hard for me at all. To be honest, I don't spend my day thinking about it. Lately, you two seem closer, so the thought crossed my mind.” He shrugged. “It doesn't really matter now. We might have bigger things to deal with,” he said all gloomy.

“Do you think that I am pregnant? I don't feel it.”

“I don't know, but I think we should prepare for that outcome. I, for one, have no fucking idea what I am dealing with.”

“Me neither.” The question that I wanted to ask most of all bubbled to my lips. “Blake... if I am, is it a bad thing for you?”

“I'm giving you that impression, aren't I?” I nodded. “I don't mean to do that. I just don't know what to say or do, but I don't think it's bad thing. I just have to get used to it... if you are indeed pregnant.” The only response that I gave was a growling stomach. “We should have some breakfast.” Blake finished.

We ate in silence. I forced down the food down without tasting it. I was in an odd disposition where I knew I was hungry, but didn't feel it, so I just filled my insides out of pure duty.

Luckily mom returned not long after we had decided not to go to school. Blake called in yet another favor with Quellan, fabricating a story that I didn't bother to listen to the end of. I hunted mom down in the kitchen and waited patiently for Dew to leave. This didn't have to get any more ridiculous than it already was. Joshwin was right behind me, but Blake was outside for this fifth round of 'fresh air'. “Mom... we need your help,” I said carefully.

“Sure.” She smiled and emptied a glass of water. I followed the sound of the glass hitting the wooden counter top.

“Joshwin thinks I might be... pregnant.” I felt utterly stupid while saying the word. It was odd articulating it out loud and especially to my mom because it was just so humorous. Mom looked at me flabbergasted. I was glad the glass was safely out of her hand or it would have slipped from her fingers.

“Are you kidding me?” She gasped.

“No,” Joshwin answered dryly.

“I'm sure that you're not, Daughter. I don't really see how that's possible,” she said, sounding calm again. I was glad that my mom was always so serene and kind. I didn't need her to laugh in my face. Though the thought of being pregnant was ridiculous, Joshwin's certainty had me rattled.

“Sibilla, would you just check? You would know what to look for,” Joshwin said sounding hopeful.

“Sure.” She agreed evenly without a trace of the mockery that I was braced for.

At moms request, I lay flat on my back on the floor in the living room. Blake was back from breathing fresh air again. Mom settled on her knees next to me. “Why exactly is it you think she's pregnant?” Mom looked up from the candle that she was lighting.

“I feel life inside her,” Joshwin said quietly and sat down cross-legged on the other side of me. I watched mom's face fall open in surprise, like Joshwin had just hit the jackpot.

“It will take a few minutes,” Mom said and rolled my shirt up exposing my stomach.

“I still say we should have gone for the normal pregnancy test,” Blake muttered humorlessly.

“We can do that later.” I offered, while trying to mingle in both their wishes. Blake should feel reassured as well.

With her eyes closed, my mom started chanting softly holding her hands over the flame then moved her heated palms to my stomach. She drew them to the side and toward the middle with her face closed off and withdrawn in concentration. “Oh hell!” She mumbled, completely stunned.

“Mom?!?” I croaked. I had never ever heard her use a cuss word from the human world. When she opened her eyes, I knew Joshwin was right. It was clearly written in the emerald green of her eyes. “Joshwin's right?” I spat in surprise. My heart did a double beat and then fluttered around in my chest erratically.

“Yes, Daughter. You're pregnant.”

“But you said yourself that it’s impossible.” I refused.

“I was wrong. Joshwin’s right. I feel the life inside you as well,” Mom answered earnestly. Her face looked as shocked as I felt.

“I told you,” Joshwin drawled gloating. I wasn't ready to take his mocking, so I narrowed my eyes at him coldly. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

“I still say to take a pregnancy test!” Blake intervened.

“Well, why don't you go get one then?!” I sneered annoyed. This was too impossible to understand. It felt like my brain had been shrunk to the size of a nut and was just rattling around in my skull aimlessly.

“I'm not sure what kind to get,” Blake mumbled reluctantly.

“And I would know any better? Just get one, Blake.” I knew my tone wasn't fair, but Blake followed my request without a complaint or a snarky comment. Was all of this a cruel joke to see how much fun they could make of me? “But I don't feel it, mom. If I was pregnant, then I should feel the life that you are talking about? Right?”

“I don't know, daughter... There is not a shadow of doubt in my heart and mind that there is life growing inside you right now. It is strong.”

“Joshwin?” I stared dumbfounded at him.

“I don't know what to say. I am just as surprised as you.”

“I think that I will just wait until Blake gets back.”

“You do that.” Mom patted my arm comforting. Her face was pale when she blew out the candle and handled things like Blake with some fresh air. Joshwin and I just stared at each other. My mind closed down like a jammed lock. It wouldn't turn one or the other way - Pregnant or not pregnant. I stayed frozen on the floor until Blake came back, then both of them accompanied me all the way to the bathroom. I fished into the small bag with two packages, each containing two tests.

“I didn't know what kind to get?” Blake shrugged.

Indifferently, I picked the first one my fingers touched. “I don't need an audience.” I snapped, when I realized they were both staying. Wisely, they left. They were allowed back in when I had urinated in a cup and was about to dunk the filtered tip into the pee. “What if this is negative... what then? Am I pregnant or not? Because we don't really know if this will work?”

“Perhaps, it will work because it is Blake's blood,” Joshwin said.

“Just dip the thing,” Blake sighed.

I followed the urine soak the tip, then placed the test on the sink. Two lines quickly started to form, one in each small window of the stick in an angry pink color.

“Not need to answer previous question, I guess,” I mumbled. The only thing still able to move on my body was apparently my lips. The instructions clearly showed that two lines meant congrats you’re pregnant!

I heard breathing in the room, but no one said anything. Joshwin was the first one to recover, when I felt his hand on my neck. “This is okay. It's a good thing. We can handle this.” I detected joy in his voice. I turned to watch his face. His smile. Joshwin was happy about this. Something close to my heart started bubbling joyfully. He was right. This was a good thing. How could I not see that? Sure, we were young, but we were happy and we loved each other. We had our family. We had support. This really was a good thing. I turned and hinged my arms around his neck and hugged him. Why had I been so upset about this?

“Breathe, Blake!” I heard Joshwin call. I turned to Blake, who had turned white as a sheet, stood tall and  swaying dangerously when Joshwin caught Blake's arm before he stumbled head first into the wall. “Breathe, man,” Joshwin grinned.

“I'm fine,” Blake slurred, and then sank safely to the floor. He stuck his head in between his knees, while pulling in deep deliberated breaths. “Oh man, I can't believe that I knocked you up.”

“Thank you for the choice of words, Blake.” I grinned and crouched down to him.

“Elvia... I know that I am still giving you the wrong impression, but actually I don't mind that much. I'm just really surprised,” Blake whispered, while sitting snail like on the floor. “I forgot to breathe, that's all.”

I still wasn't fully convinced that the test was reliable. I needed a guideline proving a base and only one person here could possibly help me right now. Serenity. Blake started stumbling to his feet and flashed a still ghostly pale, but I needed to get rid of them. “Could you make sure that he doesn't pass out? I need a moment to digest.” I pushed them toward the door leading into my room and gesturing for them to exit to the hall as well.

“Sure,” Joshwin answered.

“I'll be downstairs in a minute.” I closed the door behind them. I had to test this one more time. I snatched another pregnancy test from the bathroom and headed for my window. I jumped off the roof without considering if I should stop doing this until I landed on the ground. I took the long way around the house so neither Blake nor Joshwin would see me cross the courtyard. Using Serenity's backdoor I came across Saddettin and Kahlár. They were on their way to the orchard, which meant Serenity was possibly alone. She was in her room folding laundry, while humming lightly.

I slammed the door behind me. “You have to do something for me,” I spat rudely.

“If this is about yesterday…” Serenity placed the folded shirt in a stack neatly arranged on the bed. Yesterday, yesterday, yesterday, I ransacked my head. Oh great... the sex. I groaned.

“Oh, Earth no,” I rushed, cutting her off. Why did she have to remind me of more nakedness? “No, this is something else.”

“What is wrong with you? You're acting weirder than you normally do and you have a long track record by now.” She folded her arms over her chest. Waiting.

“Will you do something for me and ask no questions... whatsoever?” I grimaced, knowing that was a long shot.

“I'm not sure,” she mused intrigued.

“Come on, Serenity,” I begged.

“I will do what you want and will ask questions. How about that?”

I drew a centering breath. “You're my best friend and I know that I am asking a lot, but please do this for me and keep it quiet.” I begged desperately.

“If this is about men again... I won’t keep quiet, but if it is something else my lips are sealed.” She loosened her arms from her chest and picked up another piece of clean clothing.

I waited for a second until I was calm enough to hand over the test. “Take this for me. I need to know what yours will look like.”

Serenity stared wide-eyed at the white stick. “You're kidding me, right?” She started laughing, but it quickly faded when she saw my face.

“No. I need to see if yours will turn out positive because mine did.” I had no baseline of knowing what a pregnancy test would say to a Thumánn woman who wasn't pregnant. Our genes might turn out positive weather that was the case or not. Serenity would be my guideline. If hers was positive as well, then perhaps I wasn't pregnant.

Serenity stared at me for a long time. “Okay, I will take this and I will ask questions.” She flipped the stick from my fingers and headed for her bathroom. I waited for a few minutes. My hands were clammy and my heart was pounding. What if I wasn't pregnant after all? Joshwin was happy about it. Blake was somewhat in the state of shock, but not adverse to the outlook of me being pregnant and I was definitely happy. This was another impossible thing that I had purposely excluded when I chose Blake. Now, the Earth threw us a curve ball and allowed us to possibly have a family. We would have a child. My face softened and muscles pulled at the corners of my mouth. More than anything, I wanted Serenity test to be negative, then there couldn't be any more ways to defuse the fact that I was pregnant.

“It's negative.” Serenity's face was bleak when she held out the stick only marked with one line.

“Oh,” I mumbled. “I really am pregnant.” I concentrated on breathing for a moment. Serenity started talking, but I didn't listen because I was wrapped up tight in my own internal bliss. I dared to let myself believe that I was really pregnant and my family had a child on the way. A slight poke at my shoulder and a demanding face broke my inverted celebration.

“What?” It was clear Serenity had asked a question that I hadn't heard.

“Don't you have anything to say for yourself? I am not even surprised that this is coming from you.” Her eyes were brimming with hurt and anger.

“What?” I stared at her, quite stunned. I had missed more of the conversation than initially perceived. She made no sense whatsoever.

“Who'd you sleep with this time?” Serenity asked dryly.

“What?”

“You didn't get pregnant all by yourself. Does Joshwin know that you betrayed him again? What about Blake?” Serenity's voice was still flat and not the hissing accusation that she had used the last time that I screwed up. She thought that I had fooled around with more men already. I couldn't blame her for thinking that way. I had done all those things before. It unsettled me that she was so calm, like she expected it.

“Serenity, this isn't what you think?”

“So, you're not pregnant?” She sat down between the stacks of folded clothes and looked up at me hurt and disappointed.

“Yes, I think that I really am, but I swear to you on Vasvár's grave that I have only been with my husband.” I kept my eyes wide and honest. I needed her to trust me. I couldn't have her thinking that I would keep repeating the same mistake over and over again.

“I really wish you wouldn't bring Vasvár into this,” she said quietly.

“I'm sorry, but I promise something really strange happened. Blake somehow mysteriously ended up getting me pregnant.”

She narrowed her eyes at me. “Is this for real?”

“Yes. For real, for real.”

“Hi, Elvie. I just came back to say that I just saw Blake... pale as a sheet and hyperventilating. Is he sick or something?” Saddettin looked at me with concern when he came into the room. I knew exactly what he had seen.

“Er, no... Just a little shocked... like the rest of us.”

“What is going on?” Saddettin's eyes flipped back and forth between us. Serenity mouth slowly fell open, as I sat down next to her. The room went dead silent. “Girls, you're looking like someone died.”

“Er... no. Quite the opposite, actually. I'm er... pregnant.” It was so strange saying it and knowing it was the truth.

“Nice joke, but what is it? What’s wrong?” Saddettin smiled gently, thinking he was smarter than our April fool’s game, that wasn't a game at all.

“No, I really am.” The same unrehearsed smiled stretched my lips upwards in a smile. I couldn't stop my hand from slipping over my stomach in an early motherly gesture and excitement bubbled inside me. Saddettin stared at my hand.

“How do you know?” He questioned.

“Joshwin's sensed it... and so does my mother. They both feel the life inside me. A pregnancy test also confirmed it.”

“Wow... er... I think this is the first time that I don't know what to say. Er... congratulations.” Saddettin smiled wryly.

“Thank you.” I mouthed, feeling a bit shell shocked.

Serenity beside me started to thaw. Her elegant arms came around my neck and pulled me close. “I am sorry that I was so awful. You might make mistakes, but I should learn to be less of a bitch. I am so happy for you.” The slender arms tightened around my throat and breathing was becoming a problem. However, I knew how much she wanted this for herself.

“Honey, you're choking her.” Saddettin interrupted.

“Oh, sorry.” Air rushed into my lungs without effort again. Serenity stared at me wide-eyed, but her eyes were so deep in their chocolate color. “So how does the life inside you feel?”

“I don't know. I don't feel it.”

“You don't?” Saddettin asked stunned.

“Can I try to see if I can feel it?” Serenity asked carefully.

“Uhm, sure.” I leaned back on my elbows, pulled my shirt over my stomach as her long alabaster hand carefully made connection with my skin. “Do you feel it?” Saddettin asked. Serenity concentrated for a moment, then shook her head no.  Her face faded into disappointment.

“Can I try?” Saddettin asked gently. “I've sensed it in one of my sisters.”

“Okay.” Saddettin used the same careful approach as Serenity. It was a little odd to feel the pressure of his hand against my stomach. Sure, he was my friend, but having him touching my stomach was strange and slightly too intimate. Luckily, it didn't take long.

“You're pregnant alright,” Saddettin muttered with a stunned face, like he still expected this to be a joke.

“That would make three people confirming it,” I said relieved that Saddettin felt it too.

I spent a few more minutes talking to the both of them cashing in a few more congrats, before it was time to find Blake and check if he had passed out again. Running across both Joshwin and Blake on the front porch of my house, I realized that they wouldn't have seen me leaving. They expected me to be alone in my room.

“Okay, no more windows.” Joshwin said with disapproval. I started chewing my thumbnail.

“I told Serenity and Saddettin.”

“So, I guess the big question is, what do we do now?” Blake asked.

“I have absolutely no idea.” It suddenly dawned on me that I didn't have a clue what to do next. I was about as unprepared for this as a meteor striking the Earth. Well, that was actually more likely than this pregnancy.

“I think that we should talk to Sibilla just get a general idea of what we are dealing with,” Joshwin said.

“As long as we keep lumberjack out of this, I don't think I can handle another awkward conversation today.” Blake’s face fell paler just thinking about it. Kasardian had a way of making an uncomfortable topic even more gut churning.

2 comments:

  1. I had a feeling that she was pregnant when I read the teaser...things are about to get interesting...lol...amazing chapter =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Here we go :) I'm glad for them, it will probably help Joshwin with his healing too... Blake is obviously a bit shaken, but what else would you expect?

    Well done with yet another chapter Nelly! Can't wait for the next one, and I have to saay... I hope the pregnancy will be "short", because it will be lovely to meet the little one!

    And once again, to all readers of Thumánn Legend, PLEASE leave a comments, and express your gratefulness to Nelly for sharing her talent!

    /Malin

    ReplyDelete