Elvirina belongs to the Thumánn people, a breed that appears human. Their secret society is set apart by their unique gifts, a very different way of life and lastly how they love their men. At birth, every Thumánn female is appointed a soul mate. At the age of seventeen, Elvirina is more than ready to start her adult life with her given soul mate– Joshwin. Living apart from their own people, but existing amongst humans, Elvirina and Joshwin are forced to change schools. A shift in their relationship occurs when Elvirina encounters the enigmatic Blake at her most vulnerable moment and must face the consequences.


Jul 8, 2011

Chapter 43: Adjustment


Elvirina



Joshwin and I fixed us some lunch while Blake took his tenth round of fresh air to calm his nerves.

“So, sex ed 101” Blake stated bravely, when we were placed at the large oak table with dry throats and sweaty palms. We were awaiting Mom’s advice.

“Yes, Blake,” Mom said softly. “How much do you know about pregnancies?”

“Just about as much as another eighteen year old guy. If you don't wear a condom, you risk getting the girl pregnant. Oh, and morning sickness and very strange eating habits also rings a bell, but that's about it.” Blake shrugged.

Across the table, an annoyed Joshwin groaned loudly.

“Okay. So you would know nothing about our kind of pregnancies?” Mom asked patiently.

“That sounds about right.” Blake sighed. His brave face faltered a bit.

“And Joshwin, you would know more, but you have never experienced it, especially not as a soul mate. The same goes for you, Elvie. It is a very powerful time for all if you.” Mom paused. When she spoke again, she was mainly talking to me. “The pregnancy will last a little less then twelve months. Fifty weeks to be exact. The first while you only feel the life run through you... just as Joshwin already does. It should come to you in a few days, I'm sure. The next thing is your energy will increase. You probably will need to sleep less and have the urge to be more active. Just remember to keep a solid connection to Earth, She will help your body channel the energy, otherwise the excess energy can be quite irritating and frustrating. Your eating will increase as well. Slowly with time, the baby will grow healthy and strong. Then there’s the delivery. A Thumánn birth isn't particularly painful. It is more a trancelike state that your body takes to deliver your child.”

“So pregnancy shouldn't really be a bad thing?” I asked, not knowing what the hell we had gotten into ourselves into.

“No, it is a very special and rewarding time, but you and Joshwin should both be prepared that some emotions can be overwhelming.” She shot a fleeting glance at Joshwin.

“Sibilla, can I ask one thing?” Blake raised his hand like a first grader. “Why isn't the birth painful? That is actually another thing that I do know. It's not supposed to be... pleasant.” Blake swallowed convulsively.

“I can't really be sure, but I think our genetic make-up generally ensures pregnancies aren't a risk for the woman, because we are so much fewer in numbers than men. If women died like human females in some parts of the world, our species would be extinct within a few generations. Instead of it being a trying time, it is a giving time.”

“That makes sense,” Blake mumbled bleakly.

“Mom, do you think this pregnancy could be dangerous? I mean Blake and I aren’t 'normally' genetically compatible.” I hadn't thought about it, but mixing chemicals of unknown nature could spike an explosion. No one knew what mixing Blake and I would mount out to be.

“I promise that I will work on that, but I don't sense any danger or anything to fear,” Mom answered solemnly.

“That's good.” Blake sagged with relief. The color of his face improved and he retained more of his normal wintry pallor.

“Is that what has been bothering you?” I asked astounded.

“I don't want you to get hurt.” Blake’s demeanor softened completely and put a hand over mine.

“I promise that I won’t.” I squeezed his palm in reassurance.

“Joshwin, you should have a talk with your Kasardian or perhaps your father. This isn't just challenging for Elvie. It will probably be for you as well.” Mom’s eyes locked solidly on Joshwin's inattentive face.

“Okay,” Joshwin answered indifferently. I knew my Joshwin could handle anything anyone ever threw at him. He would walk through this in his perfectly calm manor as he did everything else in life. He was so strong.

“So that is it for now?” Blake said.

“Do you have anything else on your mind, Blake?” Mom asked.

“Yeah... a few questions come to mind. Like when will this little bundle of joy supposedly see the light of day? That might have some importance.” He paused. “Doctor’s appointments?”

“Well, the doctor will be me. I am a healer as you know, so I will handle it and keep an eye on her.” Mom turned her attention to me. “When was your last period?”

“January,” I answered timidly.

“You haven't had it since?” she asked astonished.

“No,” I muttered, just above a whisper.

“Do you have any idea when...?” I knew what she was indicating, the time of conception. My face felt heated.

“No, not that either.”

“Don't worry about it, honey. We will take it one day at a time.” She tried to reassure me, but the question kept clawing at me - how far along was I?

Mom kept encouraging me to ask any kind of questions that I might have, but in all honesty, my mind was so numb that I couldn't find any. The idea of this pregnancy and the news really sinking in was turning out to be a bit difficult. Sure I was over the moon and happy, but it was also like oil and water. The two didn't mix on their own. The oil just settled on the surface of the water and didn't mix in.

A few days passed as the news settled in between us. We were all adjusting to this very quietly. I personally waited for the energy and life signs that Mom and Joshwin felt, but it never seemed to arrive. I wasn't energetic. I was the opposite. I zonked into unconsciousness even before Blake at night and I was out cold until one of them woke me in the morning. No dreams, no tossing and turning or mumbling in my sleep. Another thing that I did feel inside me was nauseous. This wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't like I was sick, just uncomfortable if I forgot to eat or if I got tired.



A few mornings later only proved how wrong my mother would be about my pregnancy. I woke feeling extremely tired and nauseous. The only other time in my life that I had experienced this was when Joshwin had found me at Blake's parents’ house after hormonally landing in Blake's bed and starting this whole life. My hunger was all wrapped in a nausea that protested when I ate. I turned in bed, knowing I was horribly sweaty. I kicked the sheets off. Feeling like my stomach being so unsettled  I recognized this was what I had felt the previous days before we found out about the baby. This wasn't the anticipation of waiting for life and summer. It was human pregnancy hormones. I got out of bed pushed the window up for the fresh air. It was all in vain when I realized that it was raining and the air was sticky and damp. Joshwin gave an agonized groan in bed.

“What is it?” I asked.

Joshwin's eyes fluttered open. “I don't feel so good.” His face was just as clammy as mine. Perhaps, it wasn't the pregnancy at all, but why would Joshwin and I really get sick for the first time in our life now? I got him a glass of water from the bathroom. “Thanks,” he mumbled drowsily and chucked the water down. As he sat up, he looked a fraction better. “I'll take a shower,” he muttered not sounding better at all.

In the bathroom, I poured down several glasses of water, before it was my turn for a shower. I turned to knob to cold and let the water remove the clammy sweat from my body. It helped and Joshwin looked better too. Breakfast was another major help with fruits and more water. The nausea was gone as quickly as it appeared.

We were all struggling to get used to the surprise arrival of something which was rendered completely impossible. We hadn't told anyone outside of our house yet and not even my dads. Mom was the only one in the loop and she was keeping a close eye on me.

By evening, the nausea infested my body again. I couldn't seem to put the food in my mouth. Joshwin was also a little under the weather. Before crawling into the sheets, I pushed the window fully open and arranged an extra blanket on the bed. Perhaps, the fresh air would chase some of the queasiness away. Luckily, it worked for both Joshwin and I. The night passed with a calm stomach and no further worries as Joshwin was breathing untroubled next to me.

Waking up and not feeling refreshed or rested after a long night’s sleep was getting repetitive. However, I could see things more clearly now, because I was getting used to the idea that we were having a baby. I finally let myself get emotionally attached to whatever it was growing inside of me. We hadn't spoken much the past days, just doing every day things like attending school, keeping secrets and so on. It would soon be time to tell the rest of the family that we were expecting. We just wanted to keep this a secret until we all had surrendered to the new circumstances.

“Wake up, Elvie,” Joshwin whispered. I groaned, while turning and not wanting to get up at all. He pushed against my shoulder stopping the movement to recoil from the sound of his voice. “Look, Elvie.”

Reluctantly, I tilted my head up from the pillow to inspect what the fuss was about. Joshwin had pulled back the sheets and blanket, while his careful hand pushed my shirt up. Joshwin was beaming joyfully staring at my stomach. I followed his gaze to where I felt his hand at the lower part of my abdomen. A small, but defined bump perturbed from between my hipbones.

“When the hell did that happen?” I croaked dryly. Neither my voice nor eyes were ready for this so early. Joshwin carefully drew his palm over the bump, clearly appreciating what he saw. Again, his calm with any situation thrown at him stunned me. Somewhere deep inside me, I was thrilled to see the bump, but it also petrified me deeply. A fresh spring wind rushed through the open window, chilling me to the bone. Protectively, he drew me close to his body. He actually let me behind his normal physical barrier of touches. He folded the sheets and blankets over me, locking me to his body with a leg entangled in mine. Terrified, I let my hand find the new shape of my stomach, while feeling it with the tips of my fingers. I had to push my hand in between our stomachs to get access. A mass swallowed in my throat and teats threatened when Joshwin demanded that we stayed this close.

“Don't be scared... I love you both so much,” he whispered. He ended the embrace before it could erase the loneliness festering inside of me. An unwelcome hope to have him closer pounded in my chest. I ignored it again.

When Joshwin showered, I flipped my shirt off to see if the bump was still there. To my astonishment, there was a subtle concave grace of a curve. It wasn't much at all, but it definitely wasn't there three days ago. I was sure of that. Looking at it again, it seemed less scary.

Someone else needed to see this. I shrugged back into my shirt and a pair of sweats, I fled to the room next door. My happiness felt radiant, literally bouncing off my face. I closed Blake’s door behind me carefully. He was breathing deeply tilted onto his side. I lobbed onto the bed and straddled his waist, unsubtly demanding that he wake up. I peeled my shirt off again as he started opening his eyes. He stretched and groaned underneath me. “Morning,” he croaked. “Joshwin's going to be pissed that you're in here.”

A very defined tingle started traveling up my spine.

“No, he won't. Watch this.” I jerked a finger at my marginally swollen stomach. Blake's eyes flipped wide open.

“Oh, fucking hell. I really did knock you up.” He stared at my stomach then lifted his gaze to my face. It took a few moments until I felt Blake relaxed underneath me and the current from him changed from scared to warm.

Instantly, I was seduced by the humming that let me know where his mind had traveled. I bent down and kissed him. He wasn't opposed at all, but this would count as if I left one bed in favor of another, which was a crude lack of respect. Blake tilted me down on the mattress fully alert and hungry with his kiss and touch. His hand moving down my stomach tensed abnormally. I'd given into a little fondling and kissing, but we both knew that we needed to stop.

“We shouldn't,” we mumbled in unison. Joshwin would be angry if this went any further, but Blake could usually be persuaded, so why did he stop? I couldn't remember one single time he said no to a little morning action, no matter what rules existed. I put my lips on his again, but his response was aloof.

“What is it?” I asked puzzled.

“Nothing,” he refused instantly, but I could clearly see the distress in his morning creased eyes.

“Blake?”

“Please don't read my mind.” He averted his eyes from mine.

“I will if you don't tell me what's wrong?” His lips twitched as he resigned.

“I don't think we should have sex while you’re pregnant,” he said quietly, hiding his face in his pillow next to my face. He groaned and acted defeated.

“At all?” I blurted. Was I hearing this right or were hormones playing a trick on me?

“Yeah.” He lifted his head again. It was easy to tell that he was serious. There was no trace of humor in his beautiful eyes.

“Why would you suggest that?” I blurted horrified. I was hardly interested in going into celibacy for the next many months.

“I don't want to hurt you or...” He didn't finish.

I took his face firmly in my hands. “Blake, have you ever hurt me?” I asked softly.

“Yes,” he mumbled and caressed the skin above my heart. He bent to kiss the handprint on my chest. It tingled. I didn't need him to ostracize me as well.

“Who are you kidding? There is no way that you can keep your hands off me for that long.” I teased sweetly. The attempt fell to the ground hard as Blake's lips narrowed to a harsh line.

“Watch me,” he snarled coldly. He untangled his limbs from mine and roughly left the bed. He rarely got mad, but this was one of those rare moments judging by his squared shoulders and his biting glare.

“I'm sorry.” I tried to smooth things over. I got to my knees on the bed.

“Just don't belittle how I feel, Elvirina.” Oh no. He never called me Elvirina and when he did I was usually being scolded. He fumed some more before he spoke. “I am scared shitless and I do not have fucking clue what I am supposed to feel or think.” He paused dramatically. “We can't all be as calm as Joshwin. I am... I'm scared.” His voice traveled low and disturbingly honest. His eyes locked on my face and he looked petrified. How did I even dare to joke about his feelings? This was the first time that he really told me how he felt about the pregnancy.

I got to my feet on the bed, raising my head above his. I touched his shoulders, pulling him into an embrace for comfort. His head rested against my chest. “I promise that I won’t get hurt and making love won’t hurt me one bit.” I whispered. I wrapped my legs around his waist as he lifted me from the bed, while snuggling me deeper into his arms. “I love you and I will be fine,” I mumbled into his bare neck.

“I wish that I could be sure.” He softened as his anger dissolved. “But I still don't think that we should.”

We didn't reach an agreement, but I knew that I wouldn't accept deprivation, not from him. He changed the subject. “Are you feeling better?”

“I feel perfect today.” I mused so glad that the nausea was gone. For good, I hoped.



Breakfast looked delicious. I basically threw down the fresh bread that Dew had made and  added extra butter. The first strawberries of the season were fantastic. I hoarded more than my share. Finishing my tea, something in my stomach flipped violently. It did another somersault before I recognized that I needed to hurry. “Move, Blake!” I barked and shoved hard at his chair. I covered my mouth with my hand to hold back my breakfast that was returning with insane speed. I barely made it to the toilet before I vomited spectacularly. Hardly done, hormones sent another round of bile through my mouth and I convulsed again. Feeling like my stomach was empty again, I slumped to the floor in the tiny bathroom. I rested my cheek on the cool surface of the floor. A commotion from the breakfast table rang out, but I just didn't care. It felt so good to have the food out of my system. I climbed to my feet, right when Blake came in to check on me. He had the most entertaining look on his face. I growled displeased.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“I'm fine,” I answered, while getting up to rinse out my mouth out. Blake was still grinning quietly. “You can stop that. This is not funny,” I muttered, while going back to the breakfast table.

“Oh, it is a little funny.” He chuckled.

As I sat down at the breakfast table again, Joshwin's chair was knocked over and everyone had the same amused expression as Blake. “Where's Joshwin?” I wondered out loud.

The laughter became more obvious. “He'll be back in a moment,” Kasardian answered, trying hard to subdue a chuckle. He was right. After a few minutes, Joshwin materialized from the back porch door.

“Where did you go?” I asked confused. It was hard to believe a minute ago that I had felt so sick.

“You took the bathroom, so I had to use the next best option.” He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and picked up his chair.

“What are you talking about?” I blinked rapidly.

“Oh, Joshwin here, feels the same way you do.” Blake crooned utterly amused.

“I made you sick?” I blurted stunned at Joshwin.

“Yes,” he groaned and slumped down into his chair. Blake was right. This was a little funny. I had gotten so sick that Joshwin had the same reaction as I did. In retrospect, it would be even funnier. Joshwin poured down more water and focused on picking at a piece of bread. “I think that I understand now why our women don't get sick during pregnancies.” Color was slowly returning to his face.

My eyes flashed to Kasardian, who was still grinning quietly. Teenage pregnancies and dads normally didn’t slide over so well. In truth, it was normally a very delicate topic. Generally speaking, it should be laced with horrific arguments, but my dad or dads were just... eating and laughing. What the hell? We hadn't officially told my fathers yet. “You know?” I asked mollified.

“Yes.” Kasardian exchanged looks with Dew and Junius.

“You all know?” I glanced at the other two.

“We do,” Dew answered. “Sibilla told us the day that you found out.”

“We are all really happy for you,” Junius said and broke into a face splitting smile.

“No point in alerting the media, I guess,” Blake mumbled.

“I think that we should have some kind of a celebration when the day arrives that someone actually keeps a secret in this house,” I grumbled. I was a little disappointed that my mom had told them.

“Elvirina, I’m so sorry that I told them without your permission. It was selfish of me, but I don’t like keeping a secret like this from any of them. You needed more time to digest the news and I couldn't lie to your father when he asked why you were so quiet,” Mom said apologetically.

“Er... speaking of secrets,” Blake muttered and his mouth twitched. Oh no!

“What?” I sighed. I could only imagine something was wrong with that troubled look on his face.

“I er... kind of arranged for a doctor’s appointment.” He carefully placed his fork at the side of his plate awaiting my rage. It flared, just like he expected.

“Well you have fun... Mom's taking care of me just fine. There is no reason for me to go.”

“Daughter, it couldn't hurt,” Mom intervened carefully.

“Mom, you knew?” I spat.

“Yes.”

“Joshwin?”

“No,” he growled. This time I wasn't the only one outplayed, Joshwin was too. By the look of it, he was not the least bit happy. I was stunned. Blake always had plans, conniving his way around to find the best way to get his will brought to life.

“Er… the appointment is also kind of today, after school.” Blake’s lips twitched anticipating some kind of response. I had a temper problem, but sensing the anger roll of Joshwin, so did he today.

“When were you planning on telling us... or were you just hoping to kidnap Elvirina and take her there yourself?” Blake didn't answer and that could only mean one thing. Joshwin was right.

Blake's eyes shifted to me pleading. “I told you that I don't want you to get hurt... I just want to make sure everything is as fine as I can make them, so humor me my precautions. You have Sibilla. I have a doctor. No offense, Sibilla.”

“None taken,” Mom answered swiftly.

Looking at Blake, it was hard to miss his reason for going behind our backs. We were all a family and we should accommodate what everyone wanted and needed. Where was the harm really? I was about to open my mouth to speak when Joshwin took care of that for me.

“Fine,” he growled in agreement. “Just stop pushing everyone around like pawns in a chess game... All you have to do is ask.”

“I'll remember that.” Blake said and smiled happy that he once again had gotten things to go his way.



A few people sat quietly in the fancy waiting room. My eyes scanned the type of magazine that I never read. I took another sip of the cold water.

“Elvirina Blake? We're ready for you.” The receptionist with the kind face said looking up from her computer screen. Joshwin turned his head and eyed Blake angrily.

“What?” Blake complained. “I had to give her a last name. It seemed appropriate.” He shrugged.

“Fine,” Joshwin sighed irritated. He wasn't in favor of this visit. He was out of his normal territory and he didn't like it one bit. To be honest, neither was I, but the day had filled me with curiosity about the baby that was growing inside me.

“Come on,” I mumbled and followed behind the receptionist. We were brought to a dimly lit room that sparsely furnished. I barely recognized the monstrosity that had to be the scanner. This thing would blast pictures of what was inside me up on the wall. My hands were clammy and my mouth was dry again. The receptionist left and closed the door behind her.

“Are you sure this is a good idea, Blake?” Joshwin complained.

“Yes, it is going to be fine. It's just going to help us figure a few things out. Would you relax?” Blake said, as placed himself against the wall.

“He's right, Joshwin. This will take a few minutes and we will know with much more certainty how far along I am.” During the day at school, Blake had fully converted me to his team, thinking this doctor’s visit was a good idea.

“We won’t know anyway. We don't even know how long this pregnancy will take.” Joshwin grumbled.

“Well, look on the bright side. We know it will be between nine and twelve months.” Blake said.

Joshwin groaned again.

A short woman with ashen hair came into the room. Her face was soft and friendly. “Good afternoon. I am Doctor Aven, but you can call me Joan,” she said in a casual, but no nonsense tone. She shook my hand then Joshwin's, who introduced himself as the husband. When she turned, she noticed Blake resting against the wall. ”Oh, I see we have a crowd today and a tall one,” She smiled cordially. She did look like a minion compared to us.

“Caleb Blake,” Blake answered as he shook her hand.

“And you are...?” she prompted, before she looked at the chart and glanced up a little confused.

“He's my brother,” Joshwin inserted before anyone could say anything else.

“I see,” she said bewildered. Nice going, Joshwin. It wouldn't be strange at all to have his brother along for a baby scan. I noticed her appreciate the tattoos on Joshwin's arms, before she turned and smiled warmly at me. “Shall we begin, Mom?”

I hopped up on the bed and pulled my shirt up and rested back against the mattress. She squirted cold goo over my stomach and gently set the apparatus against my very slightly swollen stomach.

“So how far along are you?” She looked softly at me.

“I haven't got a clue,” I answered honestly.

“Okay... We'll figure it out,” she said trying to comfort me. She moved the weird looking thing over my stomach and then punched in some numbers on the keyboard, while mumbling to herself. “I am assuming that you're the father?” She looked at Joshwin, but unfortunately, someone else answered.

“I am,” Blake said swiftly,

I stared at him imprudently. Fantastic dumb and dumber, that wasn't suspicious at all. Blake just shrugged under my mean glare. I could see exactly what this looked like to her. I had banged my husband’s brother and elegantly gotten knocked up! Wow. Thank you! I groaned internally at their stupidity.

The doctor gave a composed glance at Blake and then smiled again.

“Could you sit up, dear? I need to check your back.” She said.

“Sure.” I leaned forward obediently.

She took a look for less than a second. “You can lie down again.” Her face even, like the complications presented to her didn't exist. She put the scanner to my belly again. “So where's the third one?” She looked at me with gleaming knowing eyes.

“What?” I answered absentmindedly, trying to make sense of the image blasted onto the wall. It looked like the skeleton of a dinosaur. A sense of warmth spread inside of me.

“The third husband?” The doctor clarified deadpan.

I was instantly brought back to Earth when I understood her question. “Er... Er...” No words seemed to be able to form in my mouth. I looked startled at Joshwin, whose face went completely as blank as I felt.

The doctor continued. “You’re Thumánn... right?” Her eyes traced back and forth between the three of us. None of us spoke. “I did my Masters on cultural differences between our races,” she enlightened. My mouth was dry as a desert and neither Blake nor Joshwin said anything. “I know that I'm right. Your height, your names, your tattoos and his bracelet of your hair.” She paused. “I figure that Joshwin is the soul mate due to the artwork and Blake is husband number two or three.” She continued speaking directly to me. “So where's the last one?”

This woman had way too much information about us, but for some reason, I trusted her. I kept my eyes locked on hers giving me access to what I wanted. Her mind. Isn't this just fantastic? I'm right. I know that I am. I can't believe that I get to meet a few of them. So many times, I wanted go to their homestead and they stumble into my office. What are the chances of that? I need to let them know that they can trust me. How to... How to... How to... I would die to learn more about them and to actually talk to them, but how? I wonder what their affinities are?

I studied the color of her eyes and the friendliness on her face. She didn't have to convince me. I already trusted her. “There isn't a third husband,” I said quietly as the doctor picked up a chart from the desk and took a few notes.

“Don't give her any details, Elvie.” Joshwin intruded in my head. I found his worried eyes. Well, if dumb and dumber hadn't screwed up, she probably wouldn't have suspected anything to begin with.

“You can trust her, Joshwin. She won't tell anyone. If she does, we’ll just bring Serenity next time.” I turned my head back to the doctor as I threatened discreetly. In the future, I didn't want there to be people thinking our child would be some kind of medical marvel that needed to be prodded and poked at. Serenity could make everyone forget they knew our baby.

She smiled softly again. “How about this baby? We should figure out how far along you are. Well, all my normal methods of calculation won’t work on you.”

I deliberated for a moment. “They wouldn't work if you had the Thumánn method either. Blake over there is my second husband and he is purely human. He got me pregnant.” She caught the chart mid air and fumbled it back into her hand, before it plummeted to the floor.

“That’s impossible,” she gasped.

“That's what we thought,” Joshwin said, smiling at the flabbergasted doctor. We probably looked the same way that she did now the day that we found out.

“Huh... I'll just need a moment,” Doctor Joan mumbled, sucking in a deep shaky breath.

Blake grinned. “Yeah... that's what I said.”

The doctor’s eyes narrowed. “You said your name was Caleb Blake... Are you Nicholas Blake's son?”

“One and the same. Do you know my father?” Blake asked.

“Absolutely. I've been trying to get into his medical research programs for years.”

“Is that so...” Blake mused. “Tell you what. If you truly help us keep the pregnancy just between us, I'll make sure my father's program accepts you,” he plotted swiftly.

“I'll keep this secret if you do that and let me follow this pregnancy... then this chart might even get lost somewhere.” She fanned the papers a few times. Wow, the two of them were really good at playing the blackmail game.

Blake looked at Joshwin who nodded once. “It's a deal,” Blake agreed.

Joan went to work. She asked every question possible about my cycle that had never really started, about my weight that I had never known and about my mother’s pregnancies, where I had no information since the only time my mother had been pregnant was when I was in her womb. She also inquired about Blake's family, which left us with very little to tell. Blake knew nothing about his birth parents. She needed to know about when we were intimate, which was every day to three days since the day Blake and I were married. So the bottom line was we couldn't give her any details to make her be able to give me a due date. She basically didn't know any more than we did.

“How did you weasel your way in with them? I couldn't even get a pass to Hananjii for my final thesis.” The doctor continued questioning Blake when she was done with the equation that was clearly unsolvable. She picked up the scanner piece again and put it to my pelvis.

“I fell in love with Elvia and Joshwin over there just can't resist my good sense of humor.”

“Shut up, Blake.” Joshwin drawled and rolled his eyes.

“See!” Blake grinned obnoxiously. His lips thinned and his eyes were calculating. “What kind of doctor are you?”

“I specialize in gynecology and genetics... What can I say? I'm a nerd with a thing for babies.” Apparently, she also had a sense of humor.

“Really?” Blake said flatly and pursed his lips.

“Really.” Doctor Joan retorted and returned to the screen, while moving the head of the scanner over my belly.

“Hmm, perhaps... It would be really interesting to see...” Blake paused dramatically. “No, forget it,” he dismissed and waited.

Doctor Joan couldn't resist just as Blake expected, I presumed. “What?”

“Well, how much would you give for a chance to study someone in the in-between?”

“Blake, don't,” I warned. I tried to shove a little authority into my voice.

“Don't use that on me, Elvia,” Blake said quietly. “That only works on him.” Blake didn't play by the Thumánn tradition. I couldn't out rule him if I wanted to.

“Well back to business... your baby looks perfectly fine. Two arms, two legs and one head. The size is a bit small by human standards, but I suspect a little larger for Thumánn standards. There is a strong heartbeat and a good set of lungs. My completely uneducated guess in this situation is approximately fourteen weeks. Does that make sense to you?” She asked when done evaluating the unreadable pictures on the screen.

I did a little mental math. “Sounds about right.” I would have gotten pregnant not long after we got married.

“So the baby is healthy.” Joshwin asked with a sigh of relief.

“Yes... strong and healthy. You don't have to worry.” She smiled softly in reassurance and her eyes shifted back to Blake. “What was it that you were saying again? The ‘in between’?” She handed me a piece of paper to wipe the sticky goo off my pelvis. She returned to take a few more notes on the chart.

“I have an affinity... like they do.” Blake threw a finger at both Joshwin and I. “That's what I meant with the ‘in between’... How much would you pay for that?” She looked up intrigued.

“Huh... You mean do a full blood work-up and get the chance to compare your DNA to theirs?”

“Something like that,” Blake answered.

“At the end of the day, I just couldn't find the chart... ever again. Ugh... that's all I got.” She sighed and gave up the blackmailing game. She let the chart land on the desk with a thud.

“To show you how grateful we are, I think you just got accepted to whatever program you want of my father’s... with honors.”

“…And I get to follow the pregnancy?” She chimed, looking awfully hopeful.

“Elvia?” Blake asked. I could see in his eyes his wish to have someone he trusted to make sure that I was safe. I already trusted the doctor, so it couldn't hurt.

“Sure, but not here. I want to do it from home. If that is okay with you?” My eyes shifted back to the doctor.

“Better for me.” The doctor beamed youthfully, probably deducting ten years from her age. “What is your affinity, Blake?”

“It's like static electricity, only I can control it and it can be very, very strong and dangerous... if I want it to be.” The last words left Blake's mouth with a cloud of regret.

“You can choke someone to death?” Joan asked incredulously.

“Not someone, the one. It was kind of the other way around, like when you shock someone to get their heart started again, like a crash cart.” Blake moved his hand to pull at my shirt. “Can I?” He asked softly. He knew very well how I felt about anybody seeing my scar. Only Blake was fully allowed to touch it and with him it was okay because he caused it and it strangely belonged to him. Even when Joshwin touched it, I wasn't fully comfortable. I nodded my head slightly in agreement. Gently, he pulled the fabric aside revealing what was underneath. “I did that to her,” Blake said bashful.

“Holy cow,” Doctor Aven shrieked.. My face heated uncomfortably as she leaned closer to inspect the maimed skin. “That’s impressive,” she muttered.

“Not really,” I answered flatly. I was a little insulted. I didn't really see the impressive side of having your chest scorched and permanently ruined.

“I apologize. I meant no disrespect. ”

We made arrangements for the doctor to visit us for a check-up on Sunday, every third week. That way, she could get all the answers while studying something no one would know the outcome. It was nice not having to explain every detail of our way of life. Dr. Joan already knew how our kind of family worked. Before leaving, she took blood samples from all of us to disclose what kind of secrets there might be in Blake's blood.

Seconds before leaving the office, I encouraged Blake to ask questions that he might have with the doctor privately. As sure as the sun rising in the morning, I wasn't staying celibate until after the baby arrived. To my luck, she convinced Blake that being pregnant didn't equal a death sentence if you chose to have sex... not for him, his wife or his unborn baby.



Arriving home from the doctor, we told the rest of the family of our happy news. I had hoped that it would soften Avendia. It did, just not as much as I'd wished.

With all I's dotted and T's crossed, days started to move forward in a calm and nauseous fashion. Waking up in the morning, I never knew what was coming. Some days were easy and energetic, but the rest of them often did it's best to force Joshwin and me back into bed. I started counting days that passed without vomiting. It wasn't positive, but it was just much easier. I didn't take Joshwin down with me every time, but sometimes he just couldn't escape. The queasiness seemed to be never ending and a constant black cloud on the horizon.

A new routine started. The person, who wasn’t next to me in the morning, fetched orange juice and buttered bread for me before I would even set my feet on the floor. That seemed to take the top off and save me a trip to the bathroom crouching over the toilet.

I didn't do much to pay attention in school. I was more focused on keeping breakfast or lunch down, but Blake insisted that we go. He was extremely helpful in every way that he could, both to Joshwin and me.

Slowly, the small concave bump grew more defined and it got harder to hide the pregnancy, but I was determined to keep it a secret until school was out for the summer. That was in four weeks. The month would soon change to June and it would officially be summer.

The weather was warming and everything was fresh and lush with life. I was unbelievable happy... so were we all. I spent the majority of my time two ways. Joshwin and I spend every waking moment that I was not nauseous outside, privately working on the tattoo that was down to the middle of his back now. I was lost in concentration every time I worked, until I was reminded who was the ‘paintee’ and that the process was painful for the person on the business end of the needle. Joshwin softened to me again and I was slowly let in behind his protective guard. We started laughing, even the thought of that small gesture brought tears to my eyes. Joshwin had been watchful in the past, but it was nothing compared to how he was now. His overly protective fashion had a tendency to get on my nerves and at the same time, I relished the attention that it brought on. He was a step above exhilarated with the pregnancy.

The other part of my time was with Blake sleeping or being tempted out of my clothes and into his arms. He was still concerned that I might get hurt when we made love, but I kept reassuring him that I felt fine.

Both Joshwin and Blake, often accompanied by Chrystan, spent a fair amount of time stuck under the hood of Joshwin and Chrystan's car. It was close to needing permanent residency in a junkyard, but so far it still managed to get us to school and back again.

Serenity developed a new hobby. Every morning, she would sit for a few minutes and feel the life growing inside of me. I let her sit as long as she wanted, feeling whatever it was that was so enchanting to her. By the glow in her chocolate colored eyes, she loved it.

To everyone's surprise, the only two people at home who couldn't sense the feeling of life inside me were Blake and me. Mom worked hard to figure out a theory of why that was, but no one could figure it out. 

3 comments:

  1. haha why is it that guys are afraid to have sex while the womans pregnant...lol...im curious to see how the rest of the pregnancy pans out...really good chapter! til next time =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol poor Blake!!! great chapter, really interested in this new doc, looking forward to seeing what comes next!!! Thanks for the chapter :)have a nice few weeks off, happy writing. Órla :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nelly! I'm so sorry for not posting a comment before this day. I haven't been around a computer for god knows how long! My stupid iPhone is obviously not competent enough to be sending comments at blogspot. That really succks.

    I just wanted to say that I enjoyed the chapter as always. And thank you so much sweets for the comment in your latest e-mail. Much appreciated! :)

    Can't wait to meet that little mini-Blake. He will be unresistable!

    ReplyDelete